Literature: The Inspiration of Society | Teen Ink

Literature: The Inspiration of Society

February 6, 2019
By jshea08 SILVER, Austin, Texas
jshea08 SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We, as humans, tend to view fiction and fact as two separate entities, but in reality, this partition of truth and the ‘made up’ is not as different as it seems.  Literature is not considered as vital to human knowledge as non-fiction text, but I think that literature holds more value to society as a whole than its literal counterpart. Both types of text are skewed by human perspective, but literature acknowledges its inevitable bias and non-fiction imposes absolute truth of its text, forcing the reader to blindly accept what is portrayed as valid.  Fictional literature allows us to decide for ourselves if we agree with the author’s narrative, thus creating a dialog within the readers. Dante Alighieri explored the idea of hell and sin in the Inferno and painted a bleak picture of sin’s consequences.  Another author who exemplifies the value of literature is William Golding who wrote a captivating allegory, The Lord of the Flies.  If the story had been told from a literal perspective, it would not be an effective cautionary tale.  Through these authors, literature is clearly shown as an integral part of societal growth, and it should be respected and studied.

Dante Alighieri combines history with imagination by using his faith and personal experiences to shape his narrative of hell in the Inferno. As the story begins, it becomes evident that this poem is an allegory for the everyman’s journey of life. Dante states that,

“Midway along the journey of our life

I woke to find myself in some dark woods,

For I had wandered off from the

Straight path”(Dante).

Dante is essentially having a midlife crisis of morality and mortality, finding himself in a strange forest and having wandered off the path.  The use of ‘our’ signifies that his dilemma applies to the whole human race. As he journeys into the second circle of hell, he encounters a couple who were guilty of lust and adultery.  The shades tell Dante their story,

“And while one spirit [Francesca] said these words to me,

the other [Paolo] wept, so that, because of pity,

I fainted, as if I had met my death.

And then I fell as a dead body falls”(Alighieri).

After listening to their tragic story of love, he is overcome with emotion because he feels as though this couple does not deserve their eternal punishment.  Studying Francesca and Paolo literally would inform someone of when they died, and possibly what caused their deaths; however, the Inferno takes the reader along Dante’s journey and gives human perspective into historical events.  Learning the birth and death dates of the those who came before has no effect on who we are as people. Literature can explore beneath the surface of history and dive deep into the feeling and emotions of the characters, and seeing these sinners being mercilessly punished cautions the reader against committing these sins.  Through the pages of the Inferno, the reader is taken on an odyssey into the layers of hell and returns with a changed perspective on the consequences of sin.

During World War II, William Golding wrote an allegorical novel that reflected the global climate through an isolated society of young boys.  Stranded and alone, these boys change from sweet children into feral animals, no better than the beast they all fear. During a ‘game’ they boys all chant, “Kill the beat! Cut his throat! Spill his Blood!”(Golding) while circling a child they appointed to play the beast.  When first reading The Lord of the Flies, the reader is shocked by the horrific actions of the children, but then they realize the behavior of the boys represents the men fighting in war.  This story is so powerful because, at face value, it seems like an unnecessarily, violent depiction of children, but on closer inspection, the true meaning is entirely unsettling.  As the novel draws to a close, their actions become increasingly inhuman and ultimately result in death. After Piggy died, “Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man’s heart, and the fall through the air of a true, wise friend called Piggy”(Golding).  Golding is demonstrating the value of human life and how war turns good men into monsters, and innocence into corruption. A biography on World War II would inform the reader about the horrors of the Nazis and the glory that came with victory. But through this work of literature, the reader truly understands the reality of war: death and destruction.  The Lord of the Flies was a wakeup call for many after its release because of the power that lies in allegorical stories.  Golding’s novel educates the reader on the true nature of warfare and is far more effective than any historical text.

Through the works of Dante and Golding, literature is shown to bring a new, more intimate perspective on history that connects the reader with the subject. With this new connection, the reader experiences the emotions of the characters and learns their life lessons alongside of them.  Without even leaving their home, people can grow in maturity and wisdom through the trials of the characters. This is the power of literature. When Dante is lead through his spiritual journey, the reader is right there with Virgil and him, seeing the anguish of the sinners and vowing to not end up like them. As young boys kill each other in feral rage, the reader sees that Golding is referring back to human nature and it’s tendency towards violence. Both of these novels are related to historical events, but through fiction, one can truly appreciate the struggle of their predecessors and realize the moral consequences behind their actions. By humanizing history, fiction takes education to a whole new level and actually challenges the reader to better themselves based off of the mistakes of the characters.


The author's comments:

After reading the works of Dante and Golding, the value of fiction became apparent and its reality lies in the narrative.