How Does Music Affect Your Emotions? | Teen Ink

How Does Music Affect Your Emotions?

By mcastile BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
mcastile BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin

Music is common in today’s society, Young people listens to it. Little do people know, music has a big impact on their brains and emotions in many different ways. It can, not only lift your mood but bring it down too.

Effects On Emotion

Listening to music can peak your emotions, people tend to listen to certain songs or genres when in a particular mood. Our favorite songs are our favorites because we connect to them emotionally more than others. If you’re in a sad mood, you listen to soft songs, when you’re happy, you listen to upbeat songs. Music has a tendency to stir our emotions Sad music increases the level temporary of sadness that you feel before, sometimes it’ll actually make you feel relief. Sad and emotional music can’t cause anything like depression if you don’t already have it. Happy music can reduce stress and lift your emotions in a positive way.

Benefits of Music

Music can be often beneficial in many different ways. Scientists have actually done a study and it proves that music can really lessen pain and provide some sort of comfort. It helps us cope with emotions such as anxiety, anger, fear and loneliness. It helps maintain mental abilities and enhances communication. Music also reduces stress, improves mood, memory and exercise, and your overall performance.

Negative Impacts of Music

Music can be harmful, depending on what kind you’re listening to. For example, listening to loud music can possibly damage your hearing or make you deaf, and listening to music with language can affect your actions.

Music That Improves Your Health

Music surprisingly has a impact on your health and can help it in many different ways. It’s often beneficial for everyone. For example, it’s been proven that by listening to classical music your sleep quality improves.

Types of beneficial music

Classical music tend to benefit people, but also slow songs. Scientists say that slow musical beats relax people and cause a therapeutic effect on the brain. Fast pace songs also helps pick people up when their down.

Ways music improves your health

Music actually can reduce pain and anxiety. A 2013 study show that listening to music after a open heart surgery can ease pain and reduce stress levels. In the past music has been linked to memory recall. Researchers did a test showing that music increases better moods, memory and also attention.

Music has pros and cons

Overall, there are ups and downs to music and positive and negative impacts. Each song is different and has a new meaning in between the lyrics. You can have to find the right song that benefits you.