The Benefits of Technology | Teen Ink

The Benefits of Technology

By subscribe2pewdipie BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
subscribe2pewdipie BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin

If you haven't noticed our world has become an interconnected web of communication, entertainment, and most prominently, convenience. Gone are the days where humans actually have to work in order to live. With this much convenience and luxury many people worry that we will soon become irrelevant and indolent, but the truth is, this indolence and irelvancy that many are worried about is only a side effect of efficiency.

Modern day technology has not only increased our everyday convenience but it has also strengthened our medicinal assets as well.  If it weren't for modern day technology, life-saving machines like MRIs, X-Rays, and ECGs (Electroencephalogram) wouldn’t exist. If this were the case, thousands of diseases and other dangerous bodily issues may remain undetected and continue to harm the human population.  Technology has also given us many incredibly valuable medications. These medications have saved millions and millions of lives. Synthroid, a medication that treats hyperthyroidism has improved the lives of millions and continues to improve more than 21.7 million lives to this day as it is the most prescribed medication on Earth.

Additionally, modern technology is also responsible for the sending of, on average, 37 billion phone calls, 71 billion text messages, and 205 billion emails every single day!  That’s roughly 13.5 trillion phone calls, 25.9 trillion text messages, and 74.8 trillion emails every year! In case you were counting, or more likely using a very high powered calculator, that’s about 114.2 trillion phone calls, texts, and emails every single year.  These estimates are calculated by multiplying the average number of phone calls, texts, and emails made by a single human each day by the population of the earth.  Also remember there are thousands of different methods of communication but these numbers are probably already pretty overwhelming so we’ll stop here.  These trillions of communications have connected families from thousands of miles away, connected soldiers to their children from overseas, and connected people to their doctors.  One specific example of these occurrences

As well as medicine and communication, we can’t forget about the amazing positive effects of technology on our daily conveniences in our houses and our transportation.  Homeowners can now make our houses smart. In case you have never heard of a smart home before, let me fill you in. Houses can now recognize who you are, if someone's home, and what room of the house someone is in.  With these observations the house can turn the lights on automatically, unlock or lock your doors, and even start your appliances. Besides smart homes, technology has given us numerous other luxuries. These days we can go on our phones, push a couple buttons, and order a car to pick us up from wherever we are, rent out an electric scooter.  Some cars can even drive without the control of a human, and no I’m not talking about cruise control, I’m talking about almost fully autonomous driving. This self-driving technology will pave the way for both personal and commercial transportation in the future.

In conclusion, technology has simplified our lives for the better and not for the worse.  Modern innovations have made it exponentially easier to do difficult tasks and create incredible things.  For example, the standard smartphone in 2018 is more than a million times the computing power of NASA’s entire arsenal in 1969!  This exponential growth is shown in not just smartphones though, it’s shown in everything from laptops to streetlights.  So instead of thinking you’re not working hard enough, you should start to be thankful for the hard work put in by silicon valley geniuses like Steve Jobs (the co-founder of Apple), Bill Gates ( the co-founder of Microsoft), and Larry Page (the co-founder of Google).  These individuals accelerated the progression of technology greatly for all of humanity.

This is an essay about the benefits and misconceptions of modern day technology.  I am a lover of all things technology and I felt the need to write this essay because I believe it is important to not be afraid of the future but instead embrace it.