My Vice and Virtue | Teen Ink

My Vice and Virtue

By abbycora03 BRONZE, Kener, Louisiana
abbycora03 BRONZE, Kener, Louisiana

My virtue is appreciative, which is an adjective used to describe a person who is always grateful. This word describes me well because no matter what, I always make sure to be thankful for everything I have. Appreciativeness is an important trait to have because it is easy for someone to forget that there are people in the world who have a lot less than he or she does. Society teaches kids at a young age to wish for material things, causing a widespread of ungrateful children and, as they grow older, adults. I have noticed that the future generations are becoming more and more ungrateful, and for that reason, I always remind myself of all of the gifts I have in my life. For example, last Christmas, I decided that I did not need any other material things in my life since some people in the world had nothing. I told my parents not to buy me any gifts and, instead, donate the money they would normally spend on me to a charity. Even though I did not receive any material things from my parents, I learned that I could be happy without gifts on Christmas. In that situation, my appreciative trait let me see that gifts are not what Christmas, or life, is about. All in all, my virtue is appreciative because of my ability to overlook material things and be grateful for the gifts I have.
My vice is annoying, which can be used to describe a person who is sometimes over-enthusiastic or causes irritation. Annoying is a good adjective to describe me because I tend to talk too much. I also do not have much of a filter, and those two aspects combined attribute to people getting aggravated by me quickly. Although I have tried to make myself calmer, I sometimes forget to compose myself. Most people are able to overlook my irritability, but others have less patience and snap at me. For example, one time, in math class, I was really confused about what I was learning. I asked millions of questions, and while my teacher looked more than happy about answering them, the other students were getting annoyed. Eventually, my teacher suggested that I see her after class so she can explain it more because I was using up all of the class time. I soon realized how irritating I was being and tried to correct myself. These situations happen often, where I do not realize I am being annoying until I am corrected or given a look. I have recently been trying to contain this trait, but I think it is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life. In conclusion, my vice is annoying because of my habit of getting too excited about something and being over-expressive about it.

This was an assignment in English class, but it was very eye-opening and made me see myself in a different way. The assignment was to pick a letter and choose a vice and virtue that relates to me, just like Hester's 'A' in "The Scarlett Letter."