Music with a Purpose | Teen Ink

Music with a Purpose

By Jpiskadlo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Jpiskadlo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Music has several different purposes for many different people, music is meant for anywhere, anytime, and anyhow where selections are anything but limited. Music helps in many different ways, personally, I use music regularly throughout my life to heal, motivate, and energize myself. For example, my passion lies in the sport lacrosse, before a game, I listen to artists such as Eminem, Joyner Lucas, and Kendrick Lamar to give me a fighting spirit to aid me in preforming my best. Without music before playing games, I have butterflies in my stomach which leads me to be unsure of my decisions on the field affecting my play negatively in a tremendous way. A common example in the community is when people are down on themselves, I have a friend who has severe depression and often finds himself in a “trapped” state, or isolated from everyone else. This friend repeatedly tells me that to help with this feeling they listen to Keep your head up by Andy Grammar, they say the song works like magic, healing him inside and allowing him to keep his head up and push forward through the day with a positive attitude. For other people, music serves as a financial status, their main source of money. Examples of this are DJ’s who listen and play music all day and are paid to keep the crowd satisfied and upbeat. Also, artists themselves, use music to get a financial grip on society and succeed. Music is the one thing that will never die and due to the vast majority of songs and new ones coming out daily, it is impossible to get bored of music. It serves as a foothold on society helping people to improve their performance, ethic, and attitude every day making humanity a better place.

I am a 10th-grade student who enjoys music to the max.