The Art of Music | Teen Ink

The Art of Music

By Spedroza21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Spedroza21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

From the classic radio to the internet, music has evolved the lives of people all over the world. Music is in different places in one’s mind and heart. The human listens either for enjoyment, to escape the modern-day society, to calm down, study, or relax. Music being played at any place sets the mood and occasionally defines what special event is taking hold of the facility. Study sessions would also feel empty without music, this helps the mind concentrate and leave the worries from devouring the brain. Overall, music had and still has a huge impact on all people ranging from children, teenagers, adults and to the elderly themselves!

On modern teenagers, an effect of classical music has now returned to this decade and makes them smarter after studies have been conducted. The Mozart effect has become popular and is known for improving the performance on people that need to stay on track, and is commonly used for studying. This is known for altering the mind after the student has been participating in a long study session. It grants the mind the power to put ideas together and will eventually make a person smarter, and capable of understanding more. To combine ideas together using Mozart’s music would be known as “special-temporal reasoning”. A majority of students, follow this and use either Mozart or any other type of smooth, rainy, or saxophone jazz along with their study session. Mozart or any type of calm or jazz music could help the process of releasing dopamine into the brain, ensuring that the person would reach a state of tranquility. Without music, study sessions would be empty and concentration rates would fall due to music not being the artificial blocker of all sounds.

Stacking onto the Mozart effect, music is provided in different forms and is everywhere in our modern life. People are now listening to music more than ever; the number of hours spent listening to music has risen from 23.5 – 26.6 hours of music each week! This number may seem massive, but music is really everywhere in our lives. Music is constantly towering above us from waking up to sleeping. There is a reason and a good aspect coming from music being present in most places. It could lower the chance of developing heart disease and could lower a person’s blood pressure rather than having it increase with the expansion of stress in one’s life. It is an artificial and also natural remedy to relive your stress and doing so could be an improvement to the brain’s functions. The brain’s chemistry is also changed when listening to music, providing the human a different feeling, a feeling of pleasure, relaxation and serenity. This usually comes from the output of dopamine in the brain, making us feel these feelings, along with happiness. The only downside of this would be the most obvious, hearing loss. While this could be a large problem, this only really affects the people that listen to music quite loudly rather than at a lower volume. Genres of music that could apply to this could be rock or electronic music. A last point to drag onto this message would be that music unravels the emotions of people, because if a depressed person starts listening to sad, gloomy songs, they could lead the person to extreme emotional disorders. But, victory music could apply motivation to a person to keep pushing all of their efforts and trying to persevere their dreams in whatever career or sport they choose to do so. There is no wonder to why music is present everywhere and why it affects humans in the grand scheme of things.

Music is surely everywhere, and with this, the music adds the ambiance to a natural facility or workplace, setting the mood and affecting the person’s brain in the way that they choose. The brain is either soothed by music or annoyed by its volume or genre. Most store managers say that their costumers like the background music the way it already is, examples being gas stations, restaurants or in supermarkets. People do like this, but others are also annoyed by it. Communities post a lot over being annoyed by this type of music, and even a quick google search about how music is considered in the background could provide a variety of negative responses. People think that it isn’t healthy and that it creates more stress rather than relaxation, but this is typically the case if the music originating from the facility is too loud. Some want their own little place to have no music and to be quiet to work on a study session or any other type of important business in peace. Music provides an ambiance in most places and could affect the people within the range of the music in distinct ways.

Music has shown and proven itself to be influential among the vast majority of people that listen to it. The Mozart effect raised itself from classical music that was usually overlooked in the modern world, to affecting study sessions and the lives of people of all cultures. In addition to this, music participates in many of our lives and we would never see the world in the same spectacle without music traveling with us. The music in these places generates the ambiance or mood to the place and in general, music has a different standpoint in everyone’s lives. Music has evolved over the years of its presence and is really playing a major part of human’s lives.      

What inspired me to write about this piece would be that music is a common thing used in my life, without it I really would have a bit of a boring life. I would have nothing to hear or listen to for whatever activity or event I am in. Overall, music is in everyone's life and without it, life would be very bland and boring.