Standing United | Teen Ink

Standing United

By Gracie. SILVER, Marinette, Wisconsin
Gracie. SILVER, Marinette, Wisconsin

Just try and not to fangirl to loudly

Today is March 14, 2018. I am a sohmpore in a small high school in Wisconsin. Yet what happened a month ago in Parkland Florida has affected all the way over to us. The day after the shooting we were suppose to have a fire drill. We didn't. We did have an assembly that day but with increased secruity, via the local police. I was worried. Back in 2010,before I was in High schoo. I sat and watch some long time friends of my families were worried sick. A student had taken a class hostage. Fortuanly it ended after 2 hours and no one hurt except the shooter himself. With more shootings happening and nothing happening as far as gun control I feel the need to do something. I can't stay still while nothing happens.

As many of you know, if you are a student, there has been talk of a walk out for some time. My school at first, said we needed to have parental permission to do the walk out. I don't know why or when that changed but I am glad it did. At 10 am this morning I and about 60 other students, gathered in the lunch room ready to walk out. We had extra police on campus and teachers gathered with us. Not everyone walked out to my dismay. Before we went outside I grabbed my friends hands and they asked me why. I said "If we can't stand united on gun conrtol we won't be heard. If we don't stand together we could hardly make a diffrence." I stand by what I said this morning. We have strengths in numbers even though many of us cannot vote, we can still be heard. I want to be able to go to a club as an lgbtq person and not be scared of what might happen. I want to go to school and not be scared if today is my last day. I want my children in the future to have this safety. I want this safety. So I ask anyone and everyone. Can we stand united?