Superficial Popularity | Teen Ink

Superficial Popularity

March 12, 2018
By gabriele.tony BRONZE, Beavercreek, Ohio
gabriele.tony BRONZE, Beavercreek, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri


According to the all powerful Merriam-Webster dictionary, superficial means “affecting only the surface.” If we take a view of the world superficially, we will see all smiles, and everyone is friends with everyone else. Does this sound anything like the world that we live in? I propose  that superficial doesn’t only mean “affecting the surface,” but it also means “the visual of a specific object in the desired state.” We want to live in a perfect world where we all line up around the earth and hold hands and make the aliens jealous, but this isn’t happening. The truth is, we live in a broken society. The people who this society affects the most are the teens. When you think of teens and you are not one, you might think of the classic High School Musical where most everyone is popular. But, in real life, no one is really popular. Popularity is a bit  more complicated to define. If we look again to Merriam Webster, we find “in a state of being widely accepted or approved.” Again, I feel that this is not a suitable definition. Let me explain; not all of the actions of the Popular Patties are approvable. Many times, their actions consist of bullying, harassment, and inappropriate actions. This brings up to our definition. I say “being in a state where your actions can be justified by your peers.”

With these two definitions, we can get to the point. Popularity is a desire everyone has. What can be more appealing than getting all the support in the world by those around you? This desire is fine, until you try to do something about it. In 99% of the cases of popularity, changing the visual aspects of your body will do nothing to change you social status. This is where the danger arrives. Those people who are in the 99% will realize this fact. Then they try other options. Some try to cope with their lack of popularity with physical substance. They will try drugs and alcohol. They will find another form of superficial population underneath. This one leads to a court case and a judge’s decision on whether you should be tried as an adult or a juvenile. Another form of coping is to change more of who you are. Your physical appearance isn't enough, so you view others’ social patterns and find relationships. These lead the inappropriate actions mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, the most brutal form of coping with your popularity is by bullying others. You think “Oh, I was once in your shoes, so unpopular.” Lies. You are equally as popular, but they are a lot more emotionally stable than you. There are certainly other ways to feel support than popularity. Try leaning against a brick wall. Superficial popularity only leads to emotional wreck, and dangerous situations. Try to avoid it at all costs.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write is after I saw a group of people at my school collapse with stress after trying to maintain their popularity and their school work.