Why Is Photography Important? | Teen Ink

Why Is Photography Important?

By khedr SILVER, Harvard, Illinois
khedr SILVER, Harvard, Illinois

The importance of photography is that people use it as a recorded memory and as a precious moment that would not last. It is important because you could show the struggle of people that they go through without them talking about it to you. It is a really difficult language because if mastered it you could make the photo speak for itself, people could use this language to help them through hard times and through depression (Declan O’Neill).
“I am camera shy. This has been a fact for most of my life. I believe it is one of the major reasons I took up photography. I am never in the picture” (John Wineberg). For him photography is everything because he kept reminders of his father because he was the kid who took the photos always. What he wanted from photography was not just a picture that did not have a meaning and thrown in a hard drive. He gave meaning to each photo he took. Then he started printing them and would make a journal for every year in his life and always remembering his father (John Wineberg).

Photography, according to Susan Grimes is important because you do not need to have any experience to take a meaningful photo, it should be meaningful to you. Its healthy because if you really want an amazing photo you would need to walk for miles and miles and you would have to go through harsh places. Photography can actually show people the beauty of the world because you see it in different perspectives and in different times. By showing the beauty, people could be helped to get out of their depression. The more you take photos, the more you want to experience in taking the same photo in a different view, or it could spark an idea in your mind that could ame you take a photo no one did. Photography is your own, no one can tell you that you did it right or wrong because photography is your mind in a picture that makes you remember the day, not making people remember it. Some people say what is the use of taking photos, well it is just like an another brain that saves your memories. The most important answer to why you should take photography is that it gives you joy and happiness and could change your day and make you want to live more.

Cassidy Downs says “Having a camera and capturing a specific moment in time, a fraction of a second of a life, and moments that can be remembered later is something I've always found extraordinary, and it's what has drawn me to photography as a little bit of a side job. Getting outside and taking pictures of the beauty that we are all surrounded by is important to capture because in today's busy world, most people don't have time to stop, take a breath, and enjoy all the beautiful things on this earth we have”.