Marijuana Should Be Legalized in the U.S | Teen Ink

Marijuana Should Be Legalized in the U.S

April 19, 2017
By Thisisreal_life PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
Thisisreal_life PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
48 articles 3 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"so do it. Decide. Is this the person you want to be? Is this the life you want to live? Is this the best you can be?"
"I survived the fire because the fire within me burns brighter than the one around me"


In 2015, a Gallup poll found that, for the first time, 58% of Americans supported legalizing marijuana (Goldstein 23). That is over half of the country. For years, the United States have been divided about whether or not to legalize marijuana. In some states, such as Colorado, have already legalized it. Other states have yet to join the revolution. This is an example of the division this nation is facing with this issue. Nearly half of the population is for legalizing it, seeing no negative effects. The other half is against it, seeing many things wrong with the herb. Both sides are right, in a way. However, one side is more powerful in its argument. Marijuana needs to be legalized recreationally as well as medically.

Many people in the U.S have concerns about how safe marijuana really is. It is true that marijuana can cause birth defects, raise blood pressure, and impair coordination (Blaszcac-Boxe). However, marijuana is one of the safest 'drugs' it there (Stamper 21). Nobody has ever died from a marijuana overdose (Goldstein 49). In fact, more than one million people use marijuana medically, believing it is an effective treatment for multiple illnesses and conditions (Christensen 45). So, though it is true that marijuana can have serious side effects, the positive effects are more overpowering than the negative ones of the herb.

The positive effects and purposes of the herb are widespread. Marijuana is currently being used for the treatment of at least thirty different conditions, such as ADHD, PTSD, Alzheimer's, and epilepsy. In some states, people wait for the herb to be legalized. "Thousand of patients deal with excruciating pain each day and simply cannot wait for the wheels of the government to turn," State assembyman Brian Kolb states. " Bureaucracy should not stand in the way of relief for people suffering from debilitating illnesses and disease." (qtd. in Goldstein 47). Our government bureaucracy could benefit from legalizing marijuana, and could help relieve the economic problems the United States has."tax marijuana sales could bring in large Revenue sales," Goldstein writes in her book(25). Recent studies have shown that marijuana sales could earn 8 to 10 billion dollars in sales by 2018. To add on to these cost, Miron projected that there will be 8 billion in annual Savings in law enforcement cost. That means in total, the U.S could be earning 16 to 18 billion dollars in sales(Ferner). That money could be used on highways, national parks, and the overall security of our country. State wages could increase as well. Colorado Center on Law and policy estimates that Colorado saved somewhere between 12 and 40 million in law enforcement cost, and took a 996 million dollars in tax revenue. The government could do a lot with that money. United States could do a lot if marijuana was legalized. There's no reason for it not to be, given the fact it is considerably safe. Goldstein proves that several times.One fact she states is that alcohol, a legal substance, has led to "approximately 88000 deaths each year, compare to marijuana's, which is illegal, zero deaths" (Goldstein 61). If the government will allow drugs that kill tens of thousands people yearly, why should they not allow a Herb that leads no reported deaths?