The Veil of Happiness | Teen Ink

The Veil of Happiness

By Teagan_Josephson GOLD, Conifer, Colorado
Teagan_Josephson GOLD, Conifer, Colorado

“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”

We, humans, are so foolish. We let ourselves be raised under the title of happiness in which our elders write. We do not jump for the feeling of love or the study of ourselves. Instead we sit, learning the manuscript of joy that we have not wrote. Where there could be true peace found in simplicity or nature we sit in the busy city, convincing ourselves that we are happy in the pools of alcohol and items that we buy to fill a hole that only grows. Once we realize this society isn’t made for contentedness or glory that it tries so hard to convince us of, we weep the internal tears of terrible retrospect. It truly is a wonder how we don’t accept and acknowledge the state of our world, and it's priorities. Those that do, seek their simplistic pleasures that do more than the complex “joys” that we have accepted as our only sources of happiness. We ignore the fact, the fact of true elatedness comes from the truth that we must shed the social camouflage that embraces all others. To live as you, not the egotistical frame that we are trained in. Run free, run naked, in your own personal wealth that you must create.Take the chance, make the effort that potential has no limits for. It is hard.     

Trying to find true happiness, its hard. So wrote how thought it would be done.