Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Teenager | Teen Ink

Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Teenager

October 13, 2016
By Caleb.MC SILVER, Jefferson City, Missouri
Caleb.MC SILVER, Jefferson City, Missouri
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't wait for the perfect moment, take the moment and make it perfect.


There are roughly 42 million teenagers in the United States. Anyone who is thirteen to nineteen years old is considered a teenager. Almost all of these teenagers are in either Junior High, High School, or even College. There are lots of advantages and disadvantages of being a teenager, and a few are freedom, occupation, and finances.
An advantage that most teenagers have is freedom. An example of freedom is that teenagers can drive once they get their license or permit. Although they have these rights, they can  easily lose them. Because no matter how hard a person tries, they are always going to make mistakes. No matter how hard they try. There are many ways to lose the right to drive. One way is if a person get too many speeding of parking tickets. If that happens, then that person can go to court, and then state may suspend an individual's license until they feel that, that person can handle the right to drive again. There are many other examples of freedom too. The only problem, is that there are too many to list.

 

A disadvantage of being a teenager is occupation, Although it is also an advantage at the same time. Some teenagers families do not make enough money to provide for themselves. So a teenager will sometimes feel that they need to help out by getting a job. They then use this job to make money to help their families provide for everyone. They may think that getting a job and helping out with money issues will make them a better person, and it does. It is not exactly a disadvantage though, so it is hard to see how it is classified as a disadvantage to everyone. For some people, a job is a way to get out of the house and do something productive. It is a way to get out of a bad life, and a way to feel like they belong, and that they are free.  It is not really a disadvantage at all, it is only a disadvantage if a person makes it a disadvantage. But there can be disadvantages of getting a job too. Such as Income taxes and not being able to get to work on time. If a person comes to work late too much, then that person may get fired. That is just something that all teenagers and adults should know.


A real disadvantage of being a teenager  is finances. Teenagers will not always have the money to pay for their own things, so they will need to ask for money from a parent or close friend, and then when they get the money made up they will pay that person back. But that is another reason that teenagers will get a job. They will get a job because they will use the money from that job to pay for things that they want and need.  Although the hard part of all of that is that they have to find  job that they can physically and realistically do, and get enough money to buy the things they want.


There are many disadvantages and advantages of being a teenager. Many teens can get jobs, in fact thirteen percent of the workforce today consists of teenagers. They are virtually everywhere.  And they have many advantages and disadvantages that some adults might not have the privilege of having. They can get jobs, they can do things that people younger than them may not be able to do, such as driving. But they may also have to pay taxes. These are just a few advantages and disadvantages of being a teenager. And then when they get older, they get even more advantages. Although they also get more disadvantages along with that. There are many more, but they will not be listed here. Although all teens are supposed to have all of these rights, they sometimes don’t. And it can be really hard on those teens who do not have those rights because they will sometimes feel like they are singled out and do not belong. Sometimes they do not know what to do and it is like they are all alone and have no-one to vent to.


 


The author's comments:

I just wrote it for my LA2 essay in two days