The Power Fear Has Over Us | Teen Ink

The Power Fear Has Over Us

June 9, 2016
By Alex2732 BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Alex2732 BRONZE, Tirana, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Fear: “an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous; likely to cause pain, or a threat.” (oxford dictionary)


Fear: the most powerful emotion to control our thoughts, what we do, who we are. To control us because we consider something a danger.


Fear controls every aspect of our life. Fear is what gives anything and everything power. Without fear guns would be metal tubes from which bullets are propelled with strong force and police officers would be men in uniforms, and muslims would be people following their religion.


Without fear, there is no power. If we aren’t afraid of something, if we don’t find something dangerous, leading to fear, we don’t mind it, we don’t even pay attention to it. With fear we are controlled. We are afraid of heights, we don’t go on the roller coaster or climb the mountain. We are afraid of the authority the police has, what they do. Without their authority we have no fear, and without our fear they have no authority, no power, and there is no control.


People are afraid of there being no control. Total chaos is looked at as dangerous, as anarchy. Better to have a terrible government and structured, at times unfair laws, than people running around, with no control, no fear, doing what they want. For this reason at times, people are too afraid to try to fix things, to elect new leaders, because if they try to get rid of who is in power, who knows what chaos will break out.


Some people feed off of fear, they use it against others, they use it to get farther ahead in life. Donald Trump uses the fear in people against muslims, the fear against African Americans, and the fear against illegal immigrants in people to get support, to get farther. He uses the fear to have more voters, more support. He spreads his ideas around the United States, some consider him radical, some take his ideas, listen to him and are instilled with even more fear. Causing uprising and hate crimes, because their fears are being grown and nurtured, to support one man and his uprising.


But fear controls our worries as well. As we grow and age, we come to care about more. The older we get, the more fear there is within us. When we were little, nothing scared us, nothing seemed dangerous. Riding your bike down the steep hill was fun, running around the river was thrilling, and riding a rollercoaster was all you could imagine doing. As we get older, we begin to consider the risks, what could happen. You could crash your bike, you could fall in the river and be swept away, the roller coaster is high and fast, it's scary. We slowly begin to assess more and more risks, and we slowly begin to stop daring to do things, we slowly begin to follow the rules and our parents instruction. Until we reach our teenage years, then we dare and try new things being the know it alls we are. And finally when we reach adulthood, and become mature, get married and have kids. We have the concern of other lives. We care about our spouses, about our children, what may happen to them, what may happen to us and how it'll affect them. We lose the carelessness, the ability to run around and try things, were protected and safe.


Fear is good, it’s meant to protect us, to keep us from the dangers in the world, to keep us in line following order. But with this order, with this fear comes consequences. Powerful groups are able to rise to power, mass hate crimes, and prejudice rises from fear, and our risk seeking adventurous lives, come to a halt. But with all these things, we are safe, we live good lives, and we can assess dangerous. Without fear how would we have anything in the world?