Media In Today's Society | Teen Ink

Media In Today's Society

February 13, 2016
By kkyymmiiaa GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
kkyymmiiaa GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It began with the telegram and post offices, the radio, newspaper, magazines, television and now the internet. Mass media has been around for generations, and they have both positive and negative effects.

       

Let’s take electronic media for instance. Possible the  most common form of media we are exposed to today. It can bring people together from one corner of the world to another. Transport important information and data within seconds. It gives people increased awareness on societal issues and topics. Social media has become the largest platform for communication. It has become a place for people to express their ideas, thoughts and opinions. Social media is often criticized for spreading negativity, however, it mustn’t be forgotten that it also brings reality into light. Social media is a way to give a voice to the poor and neglected, a way to raise awareness, that have led to campaigns and have made changes in the world. It is because of social media that so many young people have become more socially aware of issues we are facing today. However- it isn’t all good. Social media can be used as a platform for spreading hateful comments and notions. It can form misconceptions and it can be extremely easy to target someone, and to then hide from consequences as it is verbal or in person.

   

Another aspect of media in which I have personally noticed are television advertisements and the hidden discrimination in them. In today’s society, both men and women have many equal rights and opportunities, however when in the media, this concept is not represented. Men will be typically seen ads related to sports/alcohol, as a way to come off as more “strong” whilst women are typically seen in ads associated with cooking, cleaning and shopping. Why do companies do this you might ask? If they know that a certain product appeals to a small portion of women and a larger group of men, they think that strategically, they should directly focus on that larger set, as a means of earning a higher profit.

There are many other outlets of media, especially in today’s society. Newspapers have been passed down from multiple generations, as a way of spreading important news, books, fact or fiction, are a way for people to profess their thoughts, and music, which can used as a means of expressing oneself emotionally. In this day and age, we are exposed to so many diverse forms of media, they can impact us both positively and negatively, it just depends on how we decide to use them.


The author's comments:

Media has become such a large part of today's society, and I found it interesting research both positive and negative aspects of it.