Choose to be Happy | Teen Ink

Choose to be Happy

By Kristine.Kwon GOLD, Shoreline, Washington
Kristine.Kwon GOLD, Shoreline, Washington

never give up, never regret

Waking up to my sister dancing to Shake It Off, using my hairbrush as a mike. Pouring myself a cup of Panera’s hazelnut coffee, sitting down in my favorite booth by the bagels, taking the first sip and sensing the whole world quiet down. Putting candy in random people’s mail boxes when I walk my dogs. Learning chess in my friend’s basement. Holding my mom’s slightly different but very similar black dresses in front of the changing room, oohing and ahhing about how great she looks. Teaching a seven-year-old boy how to draw a star, and seeing the toothless grin spread across his face. Seeing my previously-nerve-wracked-mentee-freshman co-facilitator finally lead a discussion on his own. Coming home from a long day and finding my dad dozing off in the living room. Waking him up by warming my freezing hands on his toasty belly. Covering myself in glitter and blowing up dozens of ridiculous balloons to throw my best friend a surprise birthday party. Finding a four-leaf clover and believing in its magic to bring me luck when I most need it.

I have always thought that my hard work would be my main source of happiness, and in some ways it has been, but it was really the time with my friends and family, the day-to-day, people-to-people moments that brought and bring joy to my life.