It's America | Teen Ink

It's America

By mk012 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
mk012 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I see the stars and the strips pridefully swaying in the gentle breeze and think, There’s no place else I’d rather build my life. These lyrics from the song, It’s America, by Rodney Atkins paints a picture of what the American flag means to me.

“I saw a little town that some big twister tore apart, and people came from miles around just to help their neighbors out, and I was thinking to myself I’m so glad that I live in America.” Unity in times of despair, strength to pull through, and a community that helps each other out--that is what the American flag means to me.

“Now we might not always get it all right. There’s no place else I’d rather build my life.” Americans make mistakes and then learn and grow from them. This piece of the song shows hard work, liberty, and perseverance--that is what the American flag means to me.

“It’s a big flag flyin in a summer wind over a fallen hero’s grave.” In this part of the song, bravery, respect, and honor, especially on America’s birthday, pop into my head--that is what the American flag means to me.
“It’s cities and farms, it’s open arms, it’s one nation under God.” This line in the song expresses  that there is a lot of diversification, but it also hints the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the USA. Immigrants are trying to give themselves a new opportunity to succeed--that is what the American flag means to me.

“It’s a high school prom, it’s a Springsteen song, it’s a ride in a Chevrolet.” Proms, Springsteen songs, and Chevrolets are all iconic to America; they were made in this country and Americans take pride in that. Pride--that is what the American flag means to me.

The flag is a symbol of unity, liberty, and bravery--but above all, it represents that It’s America.