Texting While Driving: Not Worth the Risk | Teen Ink

Texting While Driving: Not Worth the Risk

March 12, 2015
By HailToTheStud SILVER, West Haven, Utah
HailToTheStud SILVER, West Haven, Utah
7 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be successful as a man is to make more money than your significant other can spend. To be successful as a woman is to find such a man."
"Trial is putting your life in the hands of 12 people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty"


Texting while driving. Too many people seem to think that if they just do it every once in a while, that it's less dangerous. This article will tell a little bit more about the subject. Let's get into it. (Please note that this is written from a Utahn's point of view.

First of all, texting while driving is dangerous to yourself and others. In Utah, statistics show that in 2012, texting and driving caused 20 fatalities, 125 serious injuries, and 4,667 crashes. Let's look at these as not numbers, but people. Imagine 20 people dying in one year alone because they texted while driving. Think of 125 people you know sustaining serious injuries for the same reason. It's not worth it. It can wait. What can you say via text that is more important than your own life, and possibly someone else's? Plus, those statistics were in Utah alone. On a national scale, experts estimate 1.4 million deaths due to texting while driving. That's 1,400,000 men, women and children. Honestly, people, it can wait. "lol jk brb," or any other text for that matter, isn't that important.

Second of all, if the statistics weren't enough to get you to stop texting while driving, 41 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands ban text messaging for all drivers, and 5 more ban it to novice drivers. That brings a grand total to 46 states with a ban on distracted driving. The fines vary from state to state, but all of them are very serious and they can even get up to $10,000! Imagine what you could buy with ten thousand dollars! Why waste it on one text?

In conclusion, I implore that you save the texting for when you're back out of the car. That will leave plenty of opportunity for chit-chatting safely. Thank you for reading, and I hope that you, wherever you are, took this to heart.