The Meaning of Life | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Life

July 16, 2014
By Authorintraining88 GOLD, Somewhere:p, Massachusetts
Authorintraining88 GOLD, Somewhere:p, Massachusetts
11 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
You are the universe experiencing itself


So I’m assuming you picked up this book…okay are reading this article, with the expectation of by the end, understanding the meaning of life. By meaning of life, I mean my version of it, as well as yours if you choose to follow in my beliefs, which I am by no means suggesting or asking you to do.

Maybe someone told you, or maybe you just figured, that if you were having doubts about existence, reading up on it would offer you some reassurance.

Here’s the truth. No one knows the meaning of life. No one knows what life is. You can read a thousand articles and books books, watch a thousand documentaries, listen to a thousand speakers, and still feel this slight doubt in the back of your mind that something isn’t exactly right about what each person you are listening to has to say.

That’s because it is not. The brain has this little section in it that I call a “bull-s*** detector”. Now, I am not trying to say that the people you are listening to are lying, that they are being misleading, that in any way they are even wrong, because if they have found a meaning of life, good for them. If they believe it one hundred percent, how could they be placing any harm on anyone by trying to help them find the same inner peace about having a purpose that they have been so lucky to find? However, their meaning of life, chances are, is not the view that is a perfect fit for you to value.

See, here's the thing. Just like how no one has the same fingerprint, no one has the exact same meaning of life that they trust in.

You have to find your own.

My meaning of life is that there is no meaning.

Yes, you read that right.

That’s the beauty of it all, I find. I am a piece of the universe spinning around on the earth at a speed so fast, I can’t even tell that I'm spinning, and this thought crosses my mind less than the thoughts about what to order at McDonalds.

I believe we are not meant to know the meaning of life, because then it would be too easy to deliver our purpose. Sometimes, we might not even know our purpose has been served, maybe none of us ever will. Maybe there isn’t even a purpose to begin with. Maybe we are here to learn and love and create, all for it to disappear over time. Maybe we do all this, just so that at one point in time it existed.

I can’t tell you why you’re here, why I am here, why any of us are here, or who controls life, if anyone or anything does.

But I can tell you to go outside, and sit alone, quietly, and not think. I can tell you to breathe in the air that sustains us. And I can promise you, that that is all the reassurance and comfort you will need. You will find your meaning there, it might take time, but it will happen.

You are here.

You do not have to understand why.

But you have to understand that you are living, you get to be you.

And that is just enough. (: