You've Got Mail! | Teen Ink

You've Got Mail!

By TrishDestiny PLATINUM, Jerantut , Pahang, Other
TrishDestiny PLATINUM, Jerantut , Pahang, Other

“When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.”

During my childhood years, i still remember I spent a lot of time handcrafting self made festive cards and fancy letters. The closer it was to the festive season, the busier I get. Either it is New Years, Earth Day or Parent Day, one of the best ways i decide to celebrate them was by exchanging warm greetings. I took it rather joyfully, sugarcoating their thoughts and quoting some dovey sonnets I frequently heard of. Then there were Lacey prints, colourful doodles, shimmering of glitters , loads of stickers and dashes of perfume, preferbally sweet scented one like peonies and lavender of some sorts. For the cards,there are pop ups faeries, glittering hearts and cut out pictures for the Valentine Day.
When I was younger,i wasn't aware about the internet or the web based conversation, nor did my parents discuss with me about it, thus that pretty much sums up the reason why I never bothered about getting an email address or even a social media account until I am a little older. During that time, i was particularly tremendously engrossed in writing and receiving handwriting letter so much that I envied my mother whom actually receive some bunch of letters everyday as i secretly wished she would inform me that there's a letter with my name in it as a recipient whenever she check out the mailbox.I can still vividly remember how i patiently waited for the replies from my pen pals - those handwritten letters contain so much passion -- imagine them; the writers puts their efforts during writing them with their own hand, seal them, stamped them and eventually sent them to the post office all by themself! What an awesome price of passions!

Nevertheless, that was about approximately nine years ago, shortly before traditional converse methods were swept away by the vast tide of techno geeks - when the social media weren't around and emails? Well, only two out of ten children get them before they reach twelve or something. Nowadays, youth rules. We are younger, thirstier for the easiness and we are actually , well lazier ( hey, i am a 16 years old myself, so I could say that). We want things come in high speed. Want to chat? We have Google Hangouts and Skype. Want a pen pal? Join InterPal or Facebook, penpal from the magazine clubs are way too outdated. See? Nowadays, even people never had to pull their 26 muscles to smile nowadays, all we need is just copy and paste the emojis to the emails browser - voila!

That's the main problem that kept plaguing us nowadays - we lost that fun passions and warmth we use to include in a bond. To be sincere, today's way of conversation is a tad too cold, everybody could leave the chatbox anytime they wish too without saying goodbye and everyone wouldn't sense those warmth during chatting on Facebook like we did in real life or or via mail converse.

As a teen myself, there's no denial that i do adore the technologies like we all do. I could barely survive without a mobile phone and i resented at the crumbling internet connection at my place. I desired everything to be fast , fluid and effortless. On the other hand, i might be lazier than I was at some point and i have to admit i hooked up on technological invention too much that i lost my creative flair. In fact, i am a heavy internet user as well, sure it had it's pros, but somehow it caused us lack of humanity and the impersonal touch which also make us less humane we use to be. If this situation proceed, somehow someday we shall even turn ourselves into an Android version of human, luckily we are social primate , that could more or less hinder us from being lack of humane elements. (wink, wink)

Its easier to assume that only middle aged folks would concur to the relevance factor of handwritten letters and cards but peculiarly enough , the current generation whom grown alongside the sleek path of cyberworld feel strongly about handwritten cards and letters. Take Hannah Brencher as an example,a 26 years old who runs 'The World needs More Letters Organisation', an organization which harness social media , the fleur Zen and also embraces the authentic power of pen and paper. Its an awesome site run by Hannah for peoples to write more letters. There's also this project called The World Need More Letter, which urge us to write a random letter to strangers and later left it in some sort of public place, like a coffee shop, library or even parks. It sounds rather interesting and I have actually participate it! When someone found your letter, they'll announce it on the site! If you are interested, just copy and paste the organisation's name on your browser and hit enter.
Last but not least, personally its in the choice of paper card, pen and even inks color , sitting down on the comfy couch to write a missive is akin to handcrafting something memorably unique for our recipient that makes real letters appeal to us. Moreover, with the mixed feelings of achievement when you sign off on the bottom , later drop it into a post box is truly magical! I strongly believe, we need to conserve the handwriting letter for as long as it could stay because there's no other easier method of substitution to the joy of the accomplishment it possessed.

Sending a handwritten letter like a snailmail for example, reflects an amazing sophisticated humane side of us that placed a special place into the remnants of our little hearts. There's no way to deny the magical flair of writing each time i place my bare hands over the blank piece of paper, letting my thoughts inked down by a pen fantastically, but then what's the difference of typing and writing? Both had it's pros and cos and both enable us to ink down our thoughts easily like no others , anyway you decide that for sure.

I really hope that traditional mailing would stay forever despite the fact that our world had actually revolve faster than we assume.