Colorblind | Teen Ink

Colorblind

June 21, 2013
By Lake22 GOLD, San Leandro, California
Lake22 GOLD, San Leandro, California
15 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I would rather die of passion than of boredom."-Unknown


We as a nation are colorblind. No, not that colorblind in art or objects, but colorblind as in we tell each other apart by putting each other in a specific race based on physical appearance. Now don't try to deny it, we've all done it consciously or unconsciously, but it isn't totally our fault. It all starts when we are beginning to shape our little minds, which is around preschool. We are exposed and influenced constantly to the messages of how someone looks, acts,etc and how you should act to that. We judge each other in a way that distorts truth. For example, in media it is shown that almost any "suspicious" Middle Eastern person is stopped over at the airport causing fear to the public because of previous terrorist were classified as Middle Eastern. What is Middle Eastern anyways? Anyone from that region can be pulled over for looking a specific way? Appearance has nothing to do with what and who people are so this needs to stop, but how can we when we are still thinking inside the box? Society says that everyone belongs in one category, but what if you are both, in between the lines? Very few people question this, because that would be challenging something accepted. Is the accepted good or is it bad? Is it holding us back from unity? 'Til this day we still self-segregate ourselves, and let the higher power take control, but now is our time. It is our time to decide. So what you see is not what you get, but look further with an open mind and you will realize what you find is not what you expected.


The author's comments:
I hope after reading this, you will come to realize some of the flaws in society that should be questioned and keep an open mind.