Being a Child Shouldn't Hurt | Teen Ink

Being a Child Shouldn't Hurt

May 10, 2013
By justforkixkate BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
justforkixkate BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every second a child is born into a family. The upcoming years are spent watching Disney movies, going to parks and petting zoos, buying ice cream from the ice cream truck and finger painting with their family. Almost all kids are brought into the world to a loving family but for a small percentage things are not so perfect. Child abuse is more than broken bones and bruises. While physical abuse is might be the most visible, other types of abuse, such as emotional and neglect can also leave deep lasting scars. By learning about common signs of abuse and what you can do to intervene, you can make a huge difference in a child’s life.


We’ve all heard about children being abuse, and it happens way too often every day. The main type of abuse that is found the easiest is physical abuse. When children are bad they sometimes do need to be punished, but there is a line between "right" and "wrong" when it comes to punishing a child. Acceptable forms of punishment might be taking away television time, or no dessert. Unacceptable forms of punishment include anything that would seriously scar a child mentally or physically, locking them in a dark closet, or leaving them somewhere dangerous by themselves. Most of the time when this happen to children they don’t recognize it and think they deserve the punishment.


A not so easy child abuse to recognize is emotional. Emotional can be caused by almost anyone and can affect anyone. Most people don’t realize they are being emotionally abused and the person causing it doesn’t know they are abusing someone. Emotional child abuse is maltreatment which results in impaired psychological growth and development. It involves words, actions, and indifference. Abusers constantly reject, ignore, belittle, and criticize the victims. This form of abuse may occur with or without physical abuse, but there is often an overlap. Emotional abuse hurts just as bad as physical and neglect abuse does.


Neglect is failure of caretakers to provide adequate emotional and physical care for a child. What is not taking care of your child such as, not feeding them, not bathing them and not taking care of them in general. Neglect is not as often as physical but can be emotional abuse too. Emotional is usually caused by the physical abuse or the other way around, one causes the other. Neglect in not as common as emotional and physical abuse are.

Children abuse is a major problem in the US today. Thats why i am wrote this essay to inform people what is going on in the US and to try to stop it. A child should not be afraid to live and to be around his or her family. A great book to read about child abuse is the book A Child Called It. I have read this book multiple and every time i read it i cry. lets stop child abuse and let kids be kids, being a child shouldn't hurt.