The Cost of Christmas | Teen Ink

The Cost of Christmas

December 21, 2012
By gracieJT BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
gracieJT BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"I just want you for my own! More than you could ever know! Make my wish come true… all I want for Christmas is YOU!" Although Mariah Carey’s hit Christmas song is one of my favorites and sounds very convincing, I’ve got to face to facts; I want a lot more then “you” this year. I’m not going to lie, my list is long, with items like UGG moccasins, Taylor Swift perfume, and Bauer hockey equipment all included. And after writing such an extensive list, I start to think about just how expensive it is. I never expect to get everything I ask for, but even a few items listed can add up to over a hundred dollars. Then my train of thought wanders to how spoiled I am, how people are always reminding me “People are dying in Africa!” whenever I complain, and that’s
when I decide to get back to reality. But it’s true; people are dying in third world countries every day and I’m worrying about such superficial things like what new toy I’ll get on Christmas.
Our country has lost site of the true meaning of Christmas. It’s a holiday that’s purpose is to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. But it’s also a time for family, friends, and neighbors to celebrate together and make spirits bright. Christmas is all about the little acts of kindness that can be made every day, like giving your spare change to the homeless man you always pass, or wishing a happy holiday to strangers on the street. This holiday spirit can still be found in countless Christmas songs, movies (A Wonderful Life), and traditions that thankfully have been passed down from generation to generation. And of course, the presents. Presents have always been part of Christmas, but in our time and age, presents seem to be the only part of Christmas. That statement is oh-so-true here in commercialized America, and it makes me sad that we as a society have turned a celebration of religion and life into a day filled with depthless, one- dimensional items.
So while I patiently wait with the rest of the world for the big holiday to come, I’ll keep in mind the true meaning of Christmas. I’ll make sure to wish everyone I see a happy holiday, and hum a classic Christmas tune everywhere I go. I’ll pray for those in need to have a safe day in shelter with full stomachs and warmth in their hearts. And until I can become as selfless as Mariah Carey claims to be, Christmas will always be about the presents, and the sentimental feeling this time of year brings.


The author's comments:
After looking over my Christmas list this year, I was inspired to write this peice.