Society and Life. | Teen Ink

Society and Life.

December 3, 2012
By Tay_renee_b BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
Tay_renee_b BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“It's all in the view. That's what I mean about forever, too. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You never know for sure, so you'd better make every second count.” and “I like flaws. I think they make things interesting.”


One of my best friends committed suicide recently. It was very hard for everyone around him. Some people called what he did selfish, but whats more selfish? Making someone stay in this world when they are so completely unhappy, or what he did? It's not fair for anyone. Society says what he did was wrong, unjustified, and horrible. But isn't that what society says to everything? Society says my hair is wrong. My clothes. My personality. The way I look. My way of thinking. Everything. What I want to know, is what a perfect person is like. I want to see one person answer that question realistically for me.

It's been two months now that he has been gone. why did he do it? He saw past the facade of everyone being happy. I walk down the halls and see people smiling and chatting with their friends, but I cant help but wonder who's miserable on the inside like he was. Someone who just lost a parent. Someone who's dog died yesterday. someone who is beaten at home. A guys who father is a drug addict. There are so many things that you don't know about a person yet we judge them like its our right.

I remember sitting with him one day at the mall. He pointed out a girl. He said "You see her? I go to school with her. Her father just died, she look like shes the happiest girl in the world right now, but shes not." When I asked why he would tell me that, he said that I should always think about other people around me, and what might be going on in their life insisted of just what I see on the outside.

I look back at what he said and realize that society isn't always right. Sometimes we have to look past what everyone else thinks about someone and see the truth and actual meaning behind things. Him passing away has showed me how to look at things differently. It has shown me that everyone is going through something and not to judge just by what you see. Even if we do, we always have to think about how we don't know the whole story.

He was a great person and will be missed. But what I will miss most about him is the way he could take the bad or the good and see past it. He could always take a situation and question everything about it.

If only he could see now the things that he made an impact on.


The author's comments:
My best friend passed away recently. I just wish it was different, but you cannot change the past. He was a great person and will be missed.