The Merry-Go-Round of Life | Teen Ink

The Merry-Go-Round of Life

By Simran Parwani BRONZE, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania
Simran Parwani BRONZE, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania

We all know that man, the one who is always checking his watch. The multi-tasker, with coffee in hand, types on his laptop, and talks on his Bluetooth. You know who I’m talking about now, right?
There’s also that girl down the block who always has her nose buried in a book or behind a camera. It’s too bad she’s spent her time capturing other people’s moments, and now she has no time to make her own. Do you know her too?
They say life is a rollercoaster, full of ups and downs, the thrill of the ride so full of exhilaration. In practice, however, I find life to be a merry-go-round. We are always running, hurrying to get to our destination, to move forward, when in reality, we’re spinning in routine circles. We’re never moving anywhere, because we keep spinning in a cycle of pursuing ambition and perfection, always thinking about what we don’t have. We never stop to appreciate the little things in life, and the people we have around us. I’m sick of my life being a countdown till summer vacation, and not living the rest of the year to the fullest. I’m sick of groggily getting out of bed, silently cursing about being awake at that dreaded hour. I’m actually getting tired of complaining about all the things that I am sick of. I need to live life with no regrets, live as if everyday was a miracle.
The next time I see that multi-tasking man, or the girl down the block, I’ll remind them life is not about ambition, or about fantasizing how life could be better. I’d tell them that there’s more to life, that each moment is precious. I’d say to all these people riding the merry-go-round to get out there and live their lives, and absorb each moment, because the clock is ticking.

I hope people will stop and smell the roses after reading this, that they will start living each precious moment of life to the fullest.