Skipping Stones | Teen Ink

Skipping Stones

By kateknopp BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
kateknopp BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

"Trade your guns and fire with doves; we fight for love, and peace will find us with harmony." -Christofer Drew

"Sometimes you've gotta fall before you fly."

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

Have you ever tried skipping a rock that wasn’t flat? It doesn’t work, does it? I didn’t think so. It makes a huge impact for a short second, and then sinks to the rocky bottom of the riverbed.
Life is the River.
You are the Rocks.
The riverbed is “rock bottom”.
Sometimes, Life throws you around during situations that seem to be too difficult for you to handle on your own. They cause you to sink down and hit rock bottom. The current can get to be too strong and fast, and pulls you under faster and harder. When you reach a fork in the river, you think there is finally hope. One way is Sadness; the other way is utter Happiness, and there are absolutely not doubts that Life will turn out okay after all. You start to drift toward the positive bend of the fork, but the current suddenly changes and you get swept down the negative bend. But you’re stubborn, and you fight against the current with all the will-power you have. The current pulls you down and away from everything you know and love. The last thing you want to happen is to hit rock bottom, so you fight and fight for what may seem like forever. The only thing you find down that path is darkness. But the more you fight, the closer the light of Happiness is to you. So keep fighting, no matter how weak or let-down you may feel. You are strong—you can make it out and live to tell the world that you survived one of the hardest points of your life. Faith is your weapon against time. Believe in yourself.

this is a speech type piece of writing i've been working on. based off the analogy of a river. :)