Call to End Violence | Teen Ink

Call to End Violence

January 17, 2011
By Harvardstar BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
Harvardstar BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Awake oh people of the world! Who are we to yonder at this time of night when society is at war? We must accumulate our weapons of love, peace, and acceptance to defeat this adversary, violence, before history redundantly repeats itself. Let us show action but with peace for, “I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary.”-Mahatma Gandhi. Due to violence people are losing loved ones, self respect, and their personal lives.
I pray before long, you and I will not view violence as a casual act used to entertain, degrade an ethnicity, or as a means to get a point across. I pray, as a world united by love and peace, we will learn from our historical faults such as the Holocaust, that even a redundant ‘small’ act of violence can develop into a tsunami of perilous proceedings and acquire devastating consequences.
I have a prayer that every chain of violence which has mercilessly forced me to gaze upon woeful and depressed faces own by those I love and look upon as my interior rock and role model, will have every chain that has affiliated itself with the world be inoperative in our lives. I have a prayer that the fertile seeds and grounds which lure violence such as media, substance abuse, gangs, weapons, poverty, peer pressure, broken home-styles, and non positive influencing environments, will no longer be incorporated into the human race’s lifestyle.
I have a prayer that each and every one of us will no longer accommodate violence and facilitate in the cease of violence by recognizing and respecting the values of others. The simplest way of doing so is by treating others the way we would like to be treated. We must be brave, courageous, and fearless so that we can aid by becoming the voice for the voiceless in oppressed situations by letting them know they are worthy of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They need to know not to tolerate victimization upon themselves.
To this prayer I envelop my hope, trust, commitment, and sincerity. I pray more people will adopt this mentality and one step at a time we will leave no gap for violence to thrive in our society. We need to stop violence! Hear my cry and take me seriously. Let us not ignominy this time period or allow it to exist in shame. We must have reliable programs in schools that enrich our sense of empathy and respect, for much of that sense has diminished partly due to violent video games and crimes. Do not perceive me as a mere child but, as a person who knows the impact of violence and how it scars lives perpetually.
I have a prayer that together as a united nation we WILL overcome violence!
Thank-You


The author's comments:
This piece was initially written for a contest DTWT.