South Georgia | Teen Ink

South Georgia

January 26, 2008
By Anonymous

South Georgia is known for two things—pine trees, and heat. I’ve stood at many places and marveled at the beauty of mountains, beaches, and other things of God’s hand. But none feels quite like home, and is as beautiful, as the long leaf tall pines in the woods of South Georgia. I believe God was smiling when he made that part of the country. And I know he’s proud of it. As for the heat, there’s nothing as strong and powerful than a July sun beating down in the summer. Those rays will keep you inside with the air conditioner blasting, trying to keep up, and a glass of watery sweet tea next to you, because ice doesn’t stand a chance. Those days pass lazily. But not for me, or my sister, or my friend who might as well be a sister. Nope, we could be found outside in the woods, or in the creek. Summers, weekends, after school—we were outside in those pine trees and heat.

I can still remember those woods like an old friend—the boxwoods, the bamboo, the spider webs. Though only a small patch of woods that we played in, it was a forest to us. There was a way to easily get there where the fence was down, but that would have been too easy. In the manner of kids, we hopped the fence. We made paths through the trees, and made a game of hiding from the neighbors. I’m certain that countless times they looked out their window to see three ponytails, bouncing through the woods, darting through the trees, thinking they were hidden. So many hours were spent back there, so many games made up. We found turtle shells, feathers, deer tracks, empty shot shells—all things Mama wouldn’t allow in her house. So, like any kid, we found a place to hide our treasures. And we came back to them again and again. We would play back there until the sun went down, and Mama would come out in the yard to call for us. Sometimes we met Daddy coming in from work. But when the sun sank behind the trees, that ended the day’s adventure.
But the next day, (or the next lucky chance we got), we were back out, or headed to the creek. Off the paved road we would go, walking the short distance to the creek. Nothing special, just a small stream that wound its way through the neighborhood. And I’m sure the street looked like any other from a Southern Living magazine, but to us it was much more. It was an adventure. The creek might have been more fun than the woods, but it’s a close call. I know the neighbors saw us many times—three kids, missing various items of clothing, trekking up and down that road, barefoot and dirty. We were going to our sacred, secret, special creek.
“C’mon!” I’d call. Always the ringleader, I’d lead us into the creek, jeans rolled up, shoes left on the bank. Empty beer bottles, soda cans, cigarette packs, and other litter occupied the bank as well, but we didn’t notice that. We only saw the sparkling water, which quickly clouded the second we sunk our toes in the ooze at the bottom. We saw the pine trees, which shone a vibrant green when the sun hit them, nestled against an azure sky. This was the beauty I was always attracted to.
At first, we’d just play around at the part of the creek closest to the road. We’d peek back through the brush to see what it might be like beyond, but the creek wound to the right and we could only imagine it past there. But one day, we decided to find out, so we crept along quietly, knowing we were probably in people’s yards. We followed that creek for about a half mile, until it ended up at the main road. Right before that was a water fall, and that became our destination. Still hidden by the canopy of trees that followed us all the way, it was where we would stop our journey, because past there the trees broke away and the passing cars somehow ruined the effect. But how long we waded up and down that creek, day after day, until our feet became wrinkled and we heard Mama yelling for us from the street.
That creek holds so many fun memories. It’s where I went when I found out we were leaving it behind. I sat there and reflected on the many good times spent in that water, and the woods behind our house where we played. I recalled all those times with my sister and friend, smiling that it had happened, crying that it was over. I’ve moved away now, but I still remember the best days there. Just the pine trees and heat.

This will certify that the above work is completly orginal.