Optimist | Teen Ink

Optimist

By xoxoStephanie13 BRONZE, Lincolndale, New York
xoxoStephanie13 BRONZE, Lincolndale, New York

"Love the life you live. Live the life you love."

*****************************************************
Dedicated to all the very special people in my life, all of those who are yet to come in it, and everyone else in the world.

“Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to be acutely aware of all I have taken for granted.”

-Sylvia Plath

Whenever I hear a name or think of someone, I always imagine them smiling. Whether it’s that sweet little grin or that big huge smile, I like to imagine them gleaming with happiness and overwhelmed with joy.

I like people; I like their company and I like how no one is the same. I like people with a sense of humor because I like to laugh. And I love when people laugh with me, because it makes me smile even more.

I tend to see the glass half full, even in the most depressing of times. Death is something that can be traumatizing, yet it’s inevitable. Faith is what keeps me going strong. We have all heard the expression, “They’re in a better place now.” Well, I actually believe that it’s true. When one of my family members died, my parents and I were sad. It seems unfathomable to imagine that someone you love is gone. It may be hard, but you have to learn to let go because what would be the purpose of our creation if there was no point in the end?

Sicknesses and disorders are something that is very heartrending. I believe that disorders like autism and down-syndrome make us love more. Everyday I see people with these challenges. I learn to be understanding, because I know that they can’t help it. Sicknesses like cancer are very upsetting to the patient, as well as their family. Thousands of people have or have had this disease. I happen to know some of the survivors, as well as some who have lost their battle. However, I think that this makes us be thankful for our health and appreciate what we have.

I enjoy many things in life. I love to feel happy. Sunshine makes me happy and puts me in a good mood. I like it. I like the feeling of warmth on my skin. I like looking at people when the sun is reflecting off their eyes. Their eyes look soft, vulnerable, and almost angelic. I think it makes them look so beautiful and captivating.

Singing also makes me happy. Not that I’m good at it or anything, I just like doing it for fun and being silly. I like singing along to Broadway musicals that I’ve seen with my friends and family. It puts me in such a great mood. I can put everything behind me, and forget about reality.

Running in the rain makes me happy. I feel alive. I feel like I am awoken from a sleep as rain drops fall on my face, arms, and legs. I feel determined as I run-- just one more step in front of each other. It’s like a rhythm that can’t be broken, and I just love the feeling of it.

Writing makes me happy. I like to express myself and show my emotions and feelings. I love to form words into sentences that can convey a message that I hope reaches somebody, and I hope it hits them hard.

I don’t want to waste any of the time in my life. Each second, the clock is ticking. Slowly, it’s winding down. I want to fulfill my dreams even if I’m not so sure of them now. I do not want to regret, because I don’t like dwelling on the past. All that I really want is to be happy.

I have always been the one to try to find the bright side of a negative situation. The truth is, you don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow, so I plan to make the most of it now and live my life with a smile.