Tiger | Teen Ink

Tiger

By enilorac12 PLATINUM, Encino, California
enilorac12 PLATINUM, Encino, California

Tiger’s situation has become a joke. Even students have joined Facebook groups such as: “What is the difference between Santa and Tiger?” and “I too have been with Tiger Woods”. There are even websites created for the sole purpose of keeping his “latest mistress count.” Saturday Night Live created a whole skit about him, and it seems like nearly everyone is poking fun at his alleged affairs. And as these rumors circulate through the Chaminade campus, we’re left to wonder: can we ever forgive him?
Tiger Woods allegedly has had more than a dozen extramarital affairs since 2004, when he married Elin Nordegren. He apologized on December 2nd, and released this statement: “I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.”

So those twelve women were just mistakes? Oops, Tiger just did it again?

Said one of the women allegedly involved with Tiger: “What Tiger wants, Tiger gets.”

This is setting a terrible example for the millions of Tiger fans out there. Our society is so corrupted that if you are a star professional athlete and make a few “mistakes”, then we’ll just laugh and move on. But I don’t think we should move on. We fans deserve better from our idols.

Tiger will always be an amazing golfer. However, his image will always be tainted. It will be hard for any of his fans to truly trust and love him again, the way they did before, when it appeared Tiger could do no wrong on or off the green.