If I were a kid again. | Teen Ink

If I were a kid again.

By Loralie GOLD, Bowmanville, Other
Loralie GOLD, Bowmanville, Other

Remember being a kid? Remember climbing tree's and jungle gym's with your friends? Remember wearing velcro shoes because you hadn't learned to tie laces? Remember how the worst problem that could come your way was scraped knee's and runny noses?

Now do you remember what you wanted? What all the other kids had because of it? You wanted to grow up and have freedom. Year after year you would count the inches you've grown and the grades you were in, envying your older siblings. Then time went by and you were getting older and older until you finally hit your teenage years and began to be treated like an adult.

I was one of thoughs kids. I remember watching my older brother and sister, going out with friends to far off places, having parties and the most wanted; staying out late. I remember it was grade seven and my bestfriend and I would spend every night talking about what we would look like when we were 18, how we would change, graduating and prom. We longed for the freedom to get away from what other's thought, all the bad people and being able to do what we want, when we wanted; Ultimate Freedom.

I am eighteen years old now, finishing up my school, staying out as late as I want, I smoke, drink, go to parties, I have gained friends but worse, I have lost friends. Now I sit here thinking, is this really the ultimate freedom? I work at a grocery store, right near the front entrance and as I watch the little kids shopping with there parents, not a care in the world, I envy them.

I always thought that the older I would get, the more the things in my life would make sense to me and now that I am older I realise, they only got more confusing. So here comes the reason for this article. This is a slap in the face for all teenagers and a lesson well learned for anyone younger than that.

Take your time growing up. Man, if I were a kid again, I wish I would have spent more of my time being a kid then trying to grow up. Playing cashier instead of actually being one, scraping my knee's instead of getting in car accidents, beating up boys instead of falling in love with them. We all need to embrace who we are and live for the moment, instead of living for the future. I heard a good quote once and a piece of it read "Life passes most peple why while making grand plans for it."

What moment are you living for? Whether it be living in the past and trying to get past your regrets or living for the future, is it the way to live? I don't think so. Man, I am going to stand up and live everyday as it's own. I am going to wake up like my slate was wiped clean and start all over again. Will you do the same?

Will you find the same courage I have found in myself to walk toward the unexpected? Take the past less traveled by? Will you find the courage to let go of your thoughts and other's thoughts about you? I hope your answer is yes. For all kids, teens and even adults, I want you to stand up, unafraid of the scary world you have before you. Take a breath and embrace where you are in life and who is there with you. Don't rush into the future and don't fret on the past, let go of your insecurities and just live your life.

Today is the beginning of a new day.