Turkey’s Withdrawal from the Istanbul Convention | Teen Ink

Turkey’s Withdrawal from the Istanbul Convention

May 11, 2021
By Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
Faye GOLD, Tirana, Other
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Because here's the thing about a book: when you pick up a story, you put down your own”
― Holly Smale, All That Glitters


     On the 20th of March 2021, Turkey, the first member state of the Istanbul Convention withdrew from it with the decision of President Erdogan who argued that the Convention's original intention of promoting women's rights had been "hijacked by a group of people attempting to normalize homosexuality" and that it was incompatible with Turkey's social and family values (Yalcinalp). Normalizing homosexuality is a different topic, but it seems that in both cases, the country’s leaders are still following conservative ideas. Turkey’s withdrawal has already influenced few other countries to act similarly, and this threatens the unity needed, which this Convention promotes, to fight such a pervasive issue as violence against women and girls.

     The Istanbul Convention is the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. Turkey was the first among 33 other countries that ratified the so-called Istanbul Convention, as it was opened for signature in this city, in 2012, and as of 2019 it has been signed by 45 countries and the European Union (Council of Europe).

     The treaty is a unique and significant legal instrument to tackle violence against women and girls. It is the most comprehensive and powerful tool available to fight this issue as well as prevent other problems that derive or are related to it. The Convention covers not only domestic violence but all forms of violence against women and girls including psychological and physical abuse, sexual harassment, rape, harmful practices, crimes committed in the name of so-called “honour”, stalking, and forced marriage (Council of Europe).

     After President Erdogan took the decision to withdraw Turkey from the ironically called “Istanbul Convention”, legal powers in Turkey repeatedly pointed out that this decision is not only socially disturbing but legally wrong. Based on the country's Constitution, it is only following Parliament’s ratification that the President’s executive powers of approval and publication of international treaties are triggered. Human rights treaties, therefore, first become part of domestic legislation by way of a vote in Parliament passing a ratification law. This makes the President’s unilateral decision against the country’s Constitution (Çali). However, the country’s president is a powerful and respected figure. In the world we live today, power seems to be overthrowing justice and law, and from President Erdogan, this behavior isn’t anything new to the public.

     In response, the broader society, especially women’s movement are strongly opposing President Erdogan’s decision. Protests have taken place and many news articles, civil society groups, international organizations and human and women’s right defenders contest Turkey’s withdrawal, arguing that this puts women in greater danger. On March 20th, the day of the decree, there were big rallies and protests especially in Istanbul and other major cities like Ankara and Izmir.

     Turkey is the most important member of the Istanbul Convention and it’s exit threatens the unity and existence of this Convention. As a conservative country where women didn’t have many rights, ratifying the Convention was a very significant step forward. Its withdrawal is a step backwards as regards protection of women’s rights and a threat to the democracy. Turkey’s withdrawal represents a bad and dangerous precedent which other countries with conservative governments are likely and would find easier to follow. And indeed, Poland and Hungary have already shown signals of public declarations from their leaders on the possibility of withdrawal from Istanbul Convention.

     Gender-based violence has been a persistent issue for a long time globally. In their statement regarding Turkey’s withdrawal, UN Women pointed out that due to the Covid-19 pandemic measures and lockdowns, violence against women has increased, worsening the existing levels of violence reported by the World Health Organization. “Specific to the country, the World Health Organization data has shown 38% of women in Turkey are subject to violence from a partner in their lifetime, compared with about 25% in Europe” (Eski). The UN Women statement states that “the pandemic revealed the gaps in our systems to respond united to violence. The solidarity of nations that comes with being part of international conventions is critical for a world free of the “shadow pandemic” of violence against women” (UN Women).

     This recent trend of conservative governments, choosing not to uphold women’s rights and address violence against women, shows how delicate and fragile these issues are still nowadays. How come that for a recent problem like Covid-19 pandemic, the world was rushing to find solutions, cures and measures to fight this new problem the world was dealing with? If there was a similar worldwide mobilization to fight violence against women, which has been an issue longer than a pandemic and it will most likely outlive it, it is possible to put an end to violence against women and girls.