Transgenders in Society | Teen Ink

Transgenders in Society

Many people in today's society aren't troubled with problems happening currently. An example, would be how many genders there should be. An issue that is at its peak currently would be Transgenders in today's society. In today's society we need to be more open minded and respectful towards this group of people. What comes to your mind when hearing the word transgender. Not many will have the same thoughts but not many will have a deep understanding. This problem isn’t a new thing happening all of the sudden but has been around in the nineteen hundreds. A movement that created the igniting sparks would be the Stonewall Riots in which the LGBTQ commuinty weren’t accepted in society. This is aimed for the majority people of the United States.

According to the American Association for Justice Transgenders still face pervasive discrimination in many areas of life. Is discrimination okay? If not why is it still happening? As stated in the source “ Half of all respondents 47% had faced discrimination in hiring, promotion, or job retention, and 78% experienced at least one form of harassment or mistreatment at work because of their gender identify. 47% isn’t a tiny number, but displays that almost half the participants of a large completed survey have faced discrimination. Harassment and mistreatment is reflecting disrespect towards this group of people. Nobody should be judged on who they are but should be judged on the work they complete. Why is gender identify a factor that impacts employment or promotions. Nobody should work or be in a environment where they feel that they are being targeted on who they are. Has society changed or are we still closed minded in areas that impact our nation the most.

Do Transgenders feel accepted in our society? According to Shelley Mesch a chart that shows the percentage of attempted suicides per age group in the transgender community in the United States. Which age group is the most likely attempt to take their life permanently? The age groups 18-24 and 25-44 are at 45% each. Imagine that between the ages of 18 and 24 almost half the people have tried to kill themselves. These aren't the only ages that were attempted suicides are happening but as well as from 45 to 65. More than 30% of people per these age groups have tried to kill themselves. These ages have more developed brains, knowing that suicide isn’t right. They are being targeted to the point where they no longer feel welcome and want to get away from all the negativity towards them. Transgenders are humans just like everyone else in this world so, why are we allowing people to try to kill themselves rather then find a solution.

Discrimination isn’t only happening with adults but as well with students in High School. According to the Minnesota Department of Human rights, they want intervene in a transgender student’s lawsuit.  As stated “ The Administrators at Coon Rapids High School violated the student’s constitutional rights by not allowing hm to use the boy’s locker room as a member of the swim team. Imagine if this was you not being allowed to use the lockerroom to change but sent to a seperate changing room. How would people feel? Not only was he sent to change in a different room after swim but this was done by the school board. A school should be where a student feels welcome and accepted rather than the opposite. The student no longer attends that school where he was discriminated. With this problem being such a huge impact on the student making him no longer want to go to that school, and attending a different school.

In today's society Transgenders are struggling to get accepted in our nation. We should focus on a way to terminate discrimination happening throughout this nation. If we were more open minded and accepting of Transgenders then the discrimination against them wouldn’t exist. Raising awareness with what Transgenders are going through from the workplace, school,  and with what they are thinking about after being treated poorly would impact the people who are doing it. More laws should be enacted to protect them from being harassed or mistreated and punish the people doing it.

I feel this group is being targeted and not being treated fair in today society.