Sexual Harassment in SAHS | Teen Ink

Sexual Harassment in SAHS

April 17, 2019
By ltemple03 BRONZE, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
ltemple03 BRONZE, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't forget about me."


Selinsgrove – School is supposed to be safe but is it really? Maybe for some students but not for all. 

Students should be able to go to school free from experiencing sexual harassment, that’s the promise made by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, according to www.aauw.org. In SAHS that promise is not justified according to the portion of the student population that is being sexually harassed. Almost all the students being sexually harassed do not report it. 

So, what is sexual harassment? Sexual harassment is the behavior characterized by the making of unwelcome and inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances.  Some sexual harassment signs are “making sexual jokes, comments, or gestures to or about someone, spreading sexual rumors, writing sexual messages about people on bathroom stalls or in other public places, showing someone inappropriate sexual pictures or videos, touching, grabbing, or pinching someone in a deliberately sexual way, pulling at someone's clothing and brushing up against them in a purposefully sexual way, and asking someone to go out repeatedly, even after the person has said no,” according to www.kidshealth.org

Do those actions go unknown by the school? Yes, most do but not all. Out of 37 students asked 17 students have been sexually harassed, but 21 out of 37 students have witnessed sexual harassment in SAHS. According to SAHS Assistant Principal Paul Roman, “In the three years I’ve been here only three sexual harassment cases have been reported.” 

When asked if sexual harassment in SAHS goes unreported Roman said, “Yes, absolutely it goes unreported.” Another faculty member agrees. “Yes, sexual harassment goes unreported, but I wish it wouldn't,” said SAHS nurse Margaret Briskey. Both were asked why they think it goes unreported and both answered with this the victim may be afraid or intimidated by the harasser. Other reasons are the victim(s) may not know they are a victim(s), the victim(s) does not want attention to come from this, and the victim(s) may not think anything will get done to stop the harassment. 

“In our school the principals do not put up with sexual harassment,” said SAHS clerical assistant Danna Ritter.  The steps the school takes to stop sexual harassment are they talk to the victim(s), investigate the claim, talk to witnesses, find camera footage, talk to the harasser, give out school level discipline, notify parents of the victim(s) and harasser, and if a case can be built police involvement, said Roman. 

When being sexually harassed or witnessing sexual harassment who should a student go to? 
Generally, a student should go to any adult in the building, but more specifically go to the guidance department or principals. When reporting sexual harassment, it can be anonymous or coming directly from a student. “Anonymous notes can be left in the box outside the office and they will go straight to the principals,” said Ritter. Whether sexual harassment gets reported anonymously or not, a student's identity will be kept secret unless it is a necessity to share their identity. 

Should students report sexual harassment? Yes, students should report sexual harassment. Some reasons to report sexual harassment are, the school will do something about it, and the victim(s) will get a support system to help him/her/them deal with the situation.  If sexual harassment happens to you or if you witness it, report the sexual harassment. 


The author's comments:

This piece was written as a news article for my tenth grade english class. This piece really pushed me to work hard and to not show any bias.