My True Superhero | Teen Ink

My True Superhero

Superheroes are 100% fictional, but if one person on earth would be named my one and only superhero, it would definitely be someone important in my life. They certainly should mean the most to me. They should help me through everything, support me, and love me always. They would have to have superhuman powers. But, even though superheroes are supposed to be perfect, this person that I have in mind is not always perfect. She has her ups and downs, but she means well. I would call my mom my superhero.

She will risk everything at the drop of a hat. She will do everything possible to help our family -- work two jobs, cooks and cleans. She will get us food before her, clothes before her, and practically anything before herself.

One time when my family was out to dinner, we ordered appetizers because we were so hungry. When they came out everyone started eating, except for my mom. Then my dad made a comment about it,

“Donna, why aren’t you eating?”

“I’m letting you guys eat first,” she said back.

“I’m not stuffing my face like you are,” she added.

My dad didn’t comprehend why she was waiting. He is very impatient and always wants things done now. While my mom is patient to a certain extent, she is immensely thoughtful.

At this point, they were practically yelling at each other for no reason. She was being attentive, while he wasn’t thinking. She does this numerous times and it shows.

There are many other small acts like this one that she does to help our family. Overall, she is definitely the most selfless person I know.

She has always cared for me before I could even open my eyes. She literally and figuratively molded me to be the person I am today. Without her, I would physically not be here. I understand that not everyone has one of her, therefore, I should really appreciate her a lot more than I do. She has been there for me since day one. She is beyond gracious, big-hearted, but she’s absolutely a stickler. Damn is she annoying sometimes.

“You can’t go to their house if you don’t have your homework done,”

“Did you finish your homework yet?”

“How are you watching TV, listening to music and doing your homework at the same time?”

She gets on my back about every. Little. Thing. She only wants the best for me, right? Well hopefully. That’s what I want to think. Sometimes you don’t understand why moms or dads, or both, are so annoying or strict, but you soon grasp the reason for their presence. My parents have devoted a tremendous amount of hours for my siblings and I. They come to any event. Even if it’s important or not. They are my biggest motivators and will always be there for every step of the way.

She has taught me to grow up and be unselfish and considerate. I don’t know how I can ever repay her. It’s not a gift you can go get at the store. You can’t go back in time, thank her enough, or actually repay her with real money. There’s practically no way I can compensate for everything she’s done for me.

Driving me to every practice, school, and my friend's house. She even would drive my friends anywhere if they needed to. I feel like she has taught me these things to not only be a better person but to carry this on to my kids one day.

I can even see her personality rub off on me sometimes and I’m grateful for that. I can’t imagine life without both, my mom and dad.

She obviously is important so she would be my superhero.

She isn’t Batman, Superman, or Superwoman, but she sure feels like them.

My mom is very important to me and I wrote this to show my appreciation :)