I Promise | Teen Ink

I Promise

December 30, 2018
By valbrooks BRONZE, Dublin, Ohio
valbrooks BRONZE, Dublin, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A promise, defined by the dictionary as, “a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen” Broken down simply, a promise is something that will happen for sure. And not only that, but it is something that would last forever. Funny; so many people are afraid of that word - FOREVER. Twenty million people, to be exact, have an Apeirophobia, the fear of eternity. As a teenager in high school, the words “promise” and “forever” are warped, to say the least. I cannot count how many of my friends have told me that their significant other has promised them that they will stick with them forever, through thick and thin. I guess a week later they conveniently forgot about this declaration. My peers have even shown me “promise rings” from their boyfriends. It is hard to remember exactly how long these relationships lasted, as they come and go so frequently. In the teenage world, nothing is certain, not even words that literally mean “certain”. Assurances are as meaningless as a SnapChat from a girl’s latest obsession. “For sure” is a joke. A promise is not a promise.

Nothing is a promise.


The author's comments:

As a freshman in high school, I am able to observe the way that the teenage mind works, and bring it to life in the form of a story.