Timeline of Hero's | Teen Ink

Timeline of Hero's

By sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The visitors listen for the thumping of heavy boots, the cries of loved ones, and the starving concentration camps. The Smithsonian captures this memory for the heros and the admirers, reminding us that we are free for a reason.

Walking through a timeline of heros that fought for our freedom, so we can go outside without fear and so we can say what we want to say.

Going through the door marked “American History” I knew my perspective would be changed. I saw the men’s arms wrapping around their loved ones, hearing them say, “I’ll be back soon.” The families thoughts left with wonderment if that would be true.

Moving on to the leader, drafting the men, ordering the men, and sending them off to a place where they might not return home. The fear and anxiety traveling through their minds is indescribable. But they know why they are doing this and that is to fight for our first amendment of rights. They put on their uniform and went off with perseverance to represent the country they know and love.

Seeing the section with their uniforms that have been torn, stained, and loved, each one with a story that did not have the honor of telling it and us not having the privilege to hear it.

I turned the corner and saw the shoes that the men wore from the concentration camps. Thinking about every step they took in those shoes and the pain that came with it. The saying goes, put yourself in their shoes, and there I was thinking about how they were mistreated and a tear started to weep down my families cheeks, our shirts catching them.

Exiting the museum I felt a new respect for Memorial Day, I know I won’t take the day for granted and will really think about the ones that risked their lives for our safety and freedom to make America…. America.