Americans with Disabilities Act: 28 Years Later | Teen Ink

Americans with Disabilities Act: 28 Years Later

By allief2000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
allief2000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind," ~ Dr. Seuss

28 years ago today, President George H.W. Bush signed the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) into law.  This law made accommodations for people with disabilities a right, giving many people a chance at a life they never thought possible.  By forcing people to open their doors and give people with disabilities access to their businesses and other public spaces, disabled people were finally seen in society not quite as equals, but as members.  Because of this law, I was able to attend a normal public school alongside able-bodied students.  Because of this law, I can go shopping on my own.  Because of this law, I'm going to college next month to pursue my dream of being a playwright.  Because of this law, disabled people were seen as more than just a waste of space.  The government validated their existance.

Although this law was a huge leap forward in the quest for the right's of disabled people, we as a country still have a long way to go.  Many businesses get away with not providing proper access due to lack of enforcement.  Many people still view the disabled as a drain on society.  Even now, as environmentalists push for a ban on plastic straws, disabled people fight to keep the things that give them basic independence.  This anniversary, instead of patting ourselves on the back for an accomplishment that's nearly 3 decades old, let's push ourselves to do more.  Rather than roll back accessibility regulations that are deemed too costly, as Congress is attempting to do now with the bill H.R. 620, let's increase accessibility in public spaces.  Let's increase inclusion in public schools.  Let's enforce rules that businesses have had 28 years to comply with.  Let's work with the disabled community to see what we can do, because we can do more.  We can.

This is a reflection on the ADA law on the 28th anniversary of its signing.  I use the term "disabled people" because I use identity-first language.  I do not speak for all disabled people.