Opportunity, Diversity, Family: The American Dream | Teen Ink

Opportunity, Diversity, Family: The American Dream

By LaurenE.23 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
LaurenE.23 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

I looked over and stared into the abyss of our country. People came and went in silence. They looked at the devastation that was was engraved in our brains: 9/11. Pride ran through me; this is why America is strong. I remembered those who fought for opportunity, diversity and family.

Opportunity. Albert Einstein stated, “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” Opportunity allows American citizens to look past wars and seeking for sunshine at the end of a rainy day. Opportunity in America is being able to have men choose to be women, every gender receiving equal pay, and two different cultures befriending each other. America is opportunity.

Diversity. William Coffin Jr. said, “Diversity may be the hardest thing for a society to live with, and perhaps the most dangerous thing for a society to be without.” America, the melting pot, is where cultures assemble in one place. Diversity in America is having integrated schools of blacks and whites, families like mine volunteering for women shelters, and giving Christmas gifts to those who don’t get a Christmas. America is diversity.

Family. Angelina Jolie said, “Family is what grounds me.” In America we desire the “American dream.”America is an extravagant house with a white picket fence, three kids, and a loving husband. Family in America is having a loving and devoted parents, sharing life changing moments, and a daily reminder that you are loved. America is family.

Staring into the deep dark abyss was like looking into America. As I looked, people passed the 9/11 Memorial in silence. The legacy left for future generations was instilled in the commemorating memory of those who fought and lost their lives.

Patriotism shows the love and support for those who served and the sacrifices they made to make our country free. It is a feeling that all Americans are instilled with: opportunity, diversity and family.