To All Young Girls and Women | Teen Ink

To All Young Girls and Women

By everlasting.flame BRONZE, Manassas Park, Virginia
everlasting.flame BRONZE, Manassas Park, Virginia

"You can't hold on to water. It fills you up, but it never stays. It's only good to wash away."

To all young girls and women,

We were taught from a young age that showing even the smallest amount of skin qualified you as a “s***” but I am here to tell you something oh so very surprising: the people who made you believe that were idiots. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't wear. Don't let people shame you based on your outfit choices, it’s called freedom of expression for a reason. You bra strap showing? So be it, it's not a surprise you're wearing one. Shoulders on display? Oh well, I guess boys will have to try to control themselves at the sight of your arms. Wearing shorts? Do whatever you please. We were taught to cover ourselves to make men feel less uncomfortable about seeing our bodies but, guess what? We all have arms and legs and stomachs. Big shocker, I know. There's a difference between wearing something to make yourself feel good and wearing something to make another person feel good. As long as you know the difference, just do you.

Recently I've adopted the motto of always questioning social normalities. There are so many situations in which the minority population get excluded and riducled for small things such as what they are wearing. I want to be one of the people who tries to change that. I want to the voice for those who are to afraid to speak up themselves.