Equality in the Workplace | Teen Ink

Equality in the Workplace

By kcinthehouse GOLD, Lincolnshire, Illinois
kcinthehouse GOLD, Lincolnshire, Illinois

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."-Tim Notke

Are we better than them? Is he better than her? Are men better than women? It seems that some people think that men are better than women, while others think that women are equal to men.  In reality, there isn’t a correct answer.  A woman might be a better teacher while a man might be a better construction worker.  The thing is, just because one gender is better at a job, it doesn’t mean that only that gender can have that job.  Women are at a disadvantage because most jobs are said to be occupied by men.  There are some male teachers, there are some female construction workers.  Yet, women aren’t treated equally despite all the laws that say that women are equal.  They’re paid less than men for the same job.  But, women are just as good as men.  Women should be paid the same as men.

Women are hard workers; they work to achieve their goals.  “In school, girls are routinely outperforming boys…” says writer from Nation (Women getting paid less than men for the same job: pg. 1 paragraph 5).  Evidence suggests that in school, girls are doing better than boys in math, medicine, and reading.  They graduate with top honors from school and universities, (Women getting paid less than men for the same job: pg. 1 paragraph 5)But, after they graduate and get into the workplace, men are prefered more than women despite the fact that women are doing better than them in school. If girls do better than boys in school, then why aren’t they treated equally in the workplace?

Now days, women work to provide for themselves.  In early society, women didn’t go to school, they didn’t have a job.  Jobs were mostly reserved for men who hunted, and assumed responsibility for producing crops.   Women would stay home and had the responsibility for weaving and pottery  They did chores and took care of the house.  (Funk and Wagnalls; paragraph 2).  It’s the twenty-first century.  Women have an education, they need a job.  Not every woman is married.  They need a job to support their families.  If they can’t support themselves, they will end up on the streets; this contributes to poverty.  Women have the right to have an equal job to men. 

According to the Constitution, women are equal to men.  They have the right to: own property, rights to suffrage, right to an equal opportunity of education, and an equal opportunity for employment, (Women’s Rights: pg. 1 paragraph 2).  Since women have these rights, they sould be allowed to have an equal opportunity to prove themselves.  It has happened where people don’t really listen to the Constitution thus not allowing women to do some things that men can do. 

Women should be paid the same amount of jobs for the same job.  But are men better than women? Are men better than women?  There is no correct answer.  It depends on the job, and the situation.  Men could be better than women at some jobs, but women should at least have the opportunity to prove themselves just as good.  

This piece was written as a research essay for school.  I was inspired to write this piece because women are as good as men.  Yet, they aren't treated equal to them.  My mom has a similar job to my dad.  Most of the men get paid more than her even though she surpasses all of them.  This is what inspired me and I hope you enjoy(ed) it.