Soccer For Guys….Sure If Inequality Is “The Goal” | Teen Ink

Soccer For Guys….Sure If Inequality Is “The Goal”

By izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other
izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of of solidity to pure wind." George Owell

It all started during a casual conversation between my dad and his friend. My brother and I were waiting for them to finish until my dad’s friend asked, “So does your son play soccer?”
Eagerly my dad replied with a yes and then added, “And my daughter does as well!”

This was completely ignored by my dad’s friend and he continued to ask my brother about his favorite soccer teams.

This is the first time I felt the urge to punch someone due to their sexist views. It annoyed me how a sport is classified as a ‘boy’ sport.
Not only does this happen when sports are mentioned but it happens in everyday life. People ask how a parent’s son is doing, completely forgetting about the daughter. Now I’m not saying this happens everywhere, but here, where I live, it’s pretty popular. Creating do’s and don’ts due to different genders is unacceptable. Gender inequality happens too frequently to be ignored but somehow...everyone manages to do just that. 

In our world….men are dominant. It may not be obvious in some places, but men always have a slight advantage in everything.

Usually, I can ignore comments like, “You’re a woman… go back to the kitchen.”Although these are most likely jokes, they cross the borderline of funny and sexist.

Some will not share these opinions and some may not even notice. Our world is ever changing but there is always one thing that stays the same: sexism.