A Little Different | Teen Ink

A Little Different

August 14, 2008
By VandaNoon PLATINUM, West Pittston, Pennsylvania
VandaNoon PLATINUM, West Pittston, Pennsylvania
42 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
what i can remember
is a lot like water
trickling down a page
of the most beautiful colors
-Marie Digby 'Unfold'


There has been a boy in my class for years, almost my entire education. I met him in kindergarten. He is different than the other boys. He goes to the “special” classes. He wears cartoon character shirts. He wears sweat pants and ‘dorky’ sneakers. He does not walk through the halls, but runs. He asks the questions that cause everyone to sink into their seats. He never seems to understand in library class, writing about current events does not mean writing about a shark attack from five years ago.

Being different, is not a good thing. I’m sure you all know that. And this boy, he is the definition of different. To be honest, he is annoying at times, and he is embarrassing at other times. And yet, I don’t think being different means we should mock. Being different should not mean you are condemned. So, when he tells me hello, or when he forgets a name, or when he asks me a question, I smile, and I answer.

I have seen classmates mock him over the years. They mock him right in front of him. They mutter about him under their breaths. They say obnoxious comments, that everyone else knows is cruel, except for the boy. If he says something wrong, they burst into laughter. And, sometimes, he laughs to, because he doesn’t realize he is the joke.

What seems sad to me, is he doesn’t know he is being bullied a lot of the times. And yet they mock on. But, even when he does realize, and even when he gives his outraged, “Hey!” they don’t apologize, and they don’t stop.

This boy, he, may not be smart, athletic, handsome, or “normal”. But, he is one thing the rest of them are not. He is kind. He asks me how I am. He says hello. And he cares. And he is kind.

What type of people are we that we mock someone because they are a little slower, a little different?

I wish I could say that I have really stood up for him over the years. But I have not. I have glared at his mockers. I have told them to "knock it off." But, no, I have not stopped them, and truly, I don’t think I can. For, if they truly want to stop, if they ever have that epiphany, they will stop. And they will mature.

At times, this boy seems immature. But those who mock him for his immaturity are no better.

The author's comments:
Being different doesn't change the fact that everyone wants to fit in. When you are insulted, it hurts. It hurts the bullied no less. Hopefully, reading this piece, everyone will understand that a little better.