Racism | Teen Ink

Racism MAG

By Anonymous

   Just because I'm not the head cheerleader, or just because I'm not the captain of the girl's basketball team, and just because I don't look like everyone else, does not give anyone the right to make fun of me. I have to go to school every day knowing that I will be made fun of in some way because of my race. Yesterday it was quite embarrassing. A group of Japanese exchange students came into our cafeteria at lunch and since I am the only Asian in my school, everyone started shouting my name saying, "Oh, There's your relatives!" Maybe kids don't seem to think that it bothers me, but it does. Maybe some of you out there feel the same way and get ridiculed and picked on in some way or other just because of your race, looks, religion, or whatever it may be. So many people today are so insensitive. I try not to make it look like it bothers me when the kids pick on me, but really, after a while, you get kind of tired of kids saying things about your race.

Well, there's really nothing I can do about it. Some say that the kids who pick on others only do that because they are insecure about themselves or have low self-esteem. So I TRY not to let it bother me and keep those thoughts in mind. And remember, JUST BECAUSE I'm not like them, I am a unique person in other ways.

I've found an excellent show to watch is MTV's "Like We Care," which is on at 6: 30 weekdays. It touches on many different subjects such as prejudice, violence, and environmental issues. It shows that many other teens out there may feel the same way you do. n