Political activism | Teen Ink

Political activism

June 8, 2018
By Anonymous

To the editor, 
With the recent rise in political activism coming from young people, especially in the matter of gun control, I see many people of different opinions attacking the people on the other side of the argument on a personal basis. It is important for everybody to realize that generally both sides of the argument genuinely care about the problem and never want to see another mass shooting again, they just have different opinions on how to solve this problem. Nobody wants to see more people dying. Not even the "evil" politicians. The most important thing is to focus on facts, logic, and data, instead of verbally attacking anybody who dares to disagree with your position. Attack the argument and prove it wrong, instead of accusing people of things that they did not commit. I would like to emphasize that this has to be true for both sides of the argument, as both sides are guilty. The purpose of this letter is not to support any one side but to encourage meaningful conversations about the proposed legislation. Nobody is a bad person for disagreeing respectfully.

Thank you very much,

Marcus 


The author's comments:

My name is Marcus and I am a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and I witnessed first-hand the school shooting and it's aftermath.