Feedback to "Change Is Permanent" | Teen Ink

Feedback to "Change Is Permanent"

By Boyer SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Boyer SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

Dear Salone,

I fully understand what you’re saying and why you took your time to write about it in your article “Change is Permanent”. That in the end, you can’t exactly stay neutral during this new political era. I can understand that, but there's something you forgot to talk about in your article, why people are trying to stay neutral these days.

The reason why people are trying to stay neutral, is not because they don’t care, it’s because they’re afraid to speak out. They’re afraid that if you’re conservative, they’ll be beaten for voting for the conservative party. They’re afraid that if you’re on the left, that they’ll be left behind and attacked for their views. These people, some of them even considered moving out of the United states of America just because of this political tension that this new political era has created. People don’t want to get involved in this mess, most people just want to have fun and live a happy and fulfilling life.

The main reason why this fear of standing up for your viewpoint is exactly because of the effects of social media. Many people see the hate that goes towards them for their viewpoint, they see pure hatred and racism, lies and misinformation. Social media has been a fantastic platform for people who have very similar views to meet up, and that’s good, but it’s also very bad. It can lead to peaceful agreements, or hateful things. Also, because of social media, the spread of misinformation and lies can be much faster, even before the truth is revealed. This quick spread of info can lead to just keeping up with the news to be super exhausting and sometimes just plain slow. It can drive people who have very little time crazy to the point where they say they’re done and don’t get involved. Not voting doesn’t mean you’re “...insensitive”, it could mean many things, that’s the ONE point, and one of the most important points, you forgot to talk about in your article.  Which is why, and this is gonna be confusing at first, which is why I truly believe what you are saying, that people who stand up will shape the future, yet, I don’t agree with how it’s presented. Still, I thank you Salone, for writing the article “Change is permanent”, I enjoyed reading it.