Feedback on "First Love" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "First Love"

February 11, 2018
By some_dude SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
some_dude SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 6 comments

   Love swims in the sea of life in many forms, from familial bonds to romantic relationships, even love with an object that can only return it by being strummed.  Elena’s “First Love”, encompasses a sad tale of love through a recall of a boy’s colorful perception of his once beloved guitar and his surroundings’ confusion of what he sees in it. Throughout the years of the dynamic relationship between his guitar, the boy sees it with colors other than brown, the color that everybody else sees and assures him that what it is. As the guitar changed color, the retorts became more harsher and more submerged in reality, dismaying the relationship with the boy becoming a man and a guitar that was once vibrant with passionate red, dreaded with sorrowful,cold black. As Elena kept on stuffing me with all of her colorful descriptions and the heart-wrenching story, I knew I had to write about it.
    One of the aspects of “First Love” that made me love this story was the abstract yet vibrant descriptions of each color the boy perceives of his guitar, “He strokes one of her silver hairs and she purrs, a royal blue streak.” I also loved the story, even without its succulent details. The story shares a popular theme of how love does not last forever, but in a twist that I was dying for my mind to taste. The love between the boy and the music of the guitar, his disorder of synesthesia, which allows him to see music as color and the tale more memorable, the difference in color of the music the guitar sings, that represents the status of the relationship of the two, and the ending of the story, how it was so concrete compared to the rest of the story, showing the inevitable break up, the departure of the two, that once loved.