Feedback on A Normal Day When You Don't Feel Normal | Teen Ink

Feedback on A Normal Day When You Don't Feel Normal

By some_dude SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
some_dude SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“A Normal Day When You Don’t Feel Normal” is such a heart breaking piece of frustrations and and envies of an autistic teenager. The piece follows the facades, the interactions and responses of Kori’s days in school, who requires special needs for her Autism Spectrum Disorder. The perspective goggles that Kori gives to you include the unwritten rules she perceives of how people should act toward a ”special needs” kid, herself included. A reason why this piece is considerable of your attention, because it does just not address the message of autism from a researcher, but rather a person who actually has it.
     I really appreciate this article because of how Kori expresses the concepts of conformity and ‘standing out’ through her own experience. She admits she is envious of how the ‘normal’ kids interact with each other and isolate their genuine personality when interacting with Kori due to her condition. She really punched the awareness of autism, not the only barrier to social interaction, but the treatment of autistic people as well. A  sentence from the piece explains this quite well, “You hope that maybe today, the normal kids will see you as a peer, instead of someone with autism. Just maybe.” If we want to really have a world where we can be well displayed mosaic, we also have to focus on people with medical issues, including autistic people. Thank you, Kori, for writing such a piece.