Feedback on A Party of Flavors | Teen Ink

Feedback on A Party of Flavors

By firstlovves SILVER, Brooklyn , New York
firstlovves SILVER, Brooklyn , New York

I captured the mouth-watering descriptions of Grace Kim’s “A Party of Flavors” as my stomach grumbled in hunger. Grace’s talented ability to manipulate language is highlighted as she writes about a Korean dish, bibimbap. She embraces her heritage and culture through the sights and tastes expressed with her love for bibimbap. The words felt so real as I read. I could feel the burning chili paste on my tongue. I imagined myself scraping at the hardened rice at the bottom of the bowl. I could see the runny yolk of the egg in my bowl of rice. The taste of everything bibimbap strayed right at the edge of my tongue, yet I knew it was just words.
Each culture has a special food. It’s meant to show diversity. No one should be afraid or discouraged to show their heritage. It’s something that absolutely cannot be rejected because it's part of who someone is. Grace Kim knows that she is Korean; she is not afraid to announce it. Everything shapes and forms us as people. We shouldn't disregard any part of us, especially cultural traditions. Reading “A Party of Favors” left me to appreciate myself as my stomach gurgled in search of food.