Feedback on Idiom Intervention | Teen Ink

Feedback on Idiom Intervention

By SecretlyAnOwl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
SecretlyAnOwl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Humans talk in strange ways, from slang to figurative language. “Idiom Intervention,” by Herbie Steinman, reflects this in a hilarious way: through the reasoning of an alien. The literal translation of many phrases makes absolutely no sense, as evidenced by the confusion of this Foran’Ti. The piece begins with the human using the idiom “Don’t let them get your goat.” This saying means to not let others bother you. However, when translated into the Foran’Ti language, it seems as though others are stealing your literal goat. The alien’s confusion leads to a series of questions that reveal how strange the English language really is.
     As a writer, metaphors, similes and the like don’t seem unordinary in the least. They are useful and intriguing components of my writing, helping the reader connect with the scene. However, this piece made me question the entire language I speak and write. For instance, the phrase “existential crisis” is one that refers to the moment where an individual questions the purpose or value of life. This individual’s existence is not actually at stake, as they are not going to suddenly not exist anymore. An example the author uses is, “‘God, you Foran’Ti are so dense.’ ‘My being density is much less than that of any terrestrial organism.’” As is obvious to us humans, to be dense is to not understand things easily or quickly. However, the literal meaning of dense is to be compact, which is the meaning that Afaan, the alien, references.
     “Idiom Intervention” uses the absurdity of the English language as a humorous element, making this piece suitable for all humans. Aliens could try, but just so they know, human brains are always in the skull, which is located in the head.