Actions and Reactions | Teen Ink

Actions and Reactions

By MayaP7 BRONZE, Heber City, Utah
MayaP7 BRONZE, Heber City, Utah

"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." -Dead Poets Society

May I ask you something? What’s in a miracle? Really think about this. Don’t toss me some answer that’s been played with a couple times and then left on the floor to collect years of dust. Hand me something that you take with you every game and every test, something that you set by your bedside, knowing that it will be right there for you to pick up in the morning. Hand me something that matters. Got it? Every person seems to make their own philosophy on miracles (like having a philosophy on love, or hope, or politics) as long as they sit and think about them for a while. So, that’s what I did. A book I read says that “everyone gets a miracle” (Paper Towns). I don’t believe that. We don’t get the luxury—the pleasure—of it being that easy. The world isn’t like that; it’s not that fair. So, what determines who gets miracle? Like most other things, we do. We choose. We decide whether to open that door and see what the soft, chilling breeze blows in, or we can leave the door shut and take our chances sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and wondering what could’ve been. How do you open the door, though? I have a theory. Actually, it’s not really my theory; it’s Newton’s. Also, it’s more of a law than a theory. Newton’s third law of motion to be exact. It states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Naturally, I’m applying this to miracles. An eye for an eye; a miracle for a miracle. My point is you can’t just expect a miracle to be handed to you when you have nothing to pay for it with, when you have done nothing for the world. So, do something. Be more than regrets and could’ve beens. Do something that makes people want to be more for the world, not more in the world. Be someone that made a difference in the world. Be someone that makes the world feel like it “was bankrupted of ten million fine actions” when you die (Fahrenheit 451). And above all, be the type of person that shaped the world. That, right there, is the true miracle. To be in the world, not of the world, and still have to pleasure of doing something great.